How many of you are thinking of adding a second stove or insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRanger

Nov 19, 2007
British Columbia
With the way the price of oil and propane is going-I finally have got the better half to take a second look at this option. :)

We recently installed a new insert so she says lets see how that does first? But if it doesn`t really get the heat to the next 3 levels of our 4 level home, then she is willing to consider another insert or stove. So,I personally won`t know what we are going to do until next year about this time.

I`m wondering if a lot of you are "in the same boat">? What I mean is getting the gears about the mess and all that stuff. and will it really work? etc.etc. One thing is for sure in our case, since the new insert got installed the better half spends every evening downstairs where it is nice and toasty. Maybe there is a god after all--heh,heh, and maybe he will be on my side in this matter. I have been preaching 2 inserts for the past 4 years,and maybe now it isn`t gonna fall on deaf ears anymore.

Wouldn`t mind some thoughts from those of you whose homes weren`t designed for just one stove or insert. And if you are thinking along the same lines as myself=2 is better than 1...

@ -35 & colder a 2nd stove would be nice to have upstairs. Another CAT though so it could idle along at 250 to 300F.A lower heat output would be required as
we only need to take the edge off at those low temps with the one in the basement crusing at midway. This way the wife would stay upstairs and away from the computer. If ya know what I mean. My old napoleon can stay out in the quad shed where it belongs.

IIIIve thought about it, but SHE doesn't think it's necessary. I would like to put a pellet insert in the existing fireplace in the living room that we are never in, but I have been shot down at least once in this regard. This is really our first full year with the Quad and it wasn't too harsh down here, so the need isn't as obvious. If the weather had been colder, we would have burned a lot more gas, so I'll bide my time and consider a second offensive at a later date. I plan on setting the backup thermostat a lot lower next year!

Chris

PS, she loves the Quad, too! Maybe I can convince her to put one in the bedroom... Another Quad, not a quad!

Redox said:
IIIIve thought about it, but SHE doesn't think it's necessary. I would like to put a pellet insert in the existing fireplace in the living room that we are never in, but I have been shot down at least once in this regard. This is really our first full year with the Quad and it wasn't too harsh down here, so the need isn't as obvious. If the weather had been colder, we would have burned a lot more gas, so I'll bide my time and consider a second offensive at a later date. I plan on setting the backup thermostat a lot lower next year!

Chris

PS, she loves the Quad, too! Maybe I can convince her to put one in the bedroom... Another Quad, not a quad!

One thing is for sure here--it sure does suck to be shot down ;-)

Don`t know about your situation, but I am prettry sure that the way energy prices are headed,we are gonna see a second insert or heatilator within a year or two. The only thing us guys got going for us in this regard is that feeling the heat and seeing the difference is what changes old attitudes.

I`m not hearing any purring down there yet-cept from the cats, but I know she always gravitates to that nice warm fire. ;-)

PS, she loves the Quad, too! Maybe I can convince her to put one in the bedroom…

Woodstoves are not allowed in bedrooms according to code. Besides, you're supposed to be providing the heat there. ;-)

Redox said:

Understood, although the new Polaris 800 would look good in there too.

BeGreen said:
PS, she loves the Quad, too! Maybe I can convince her to put one in the bedroom…

Woodstoves are not allowed in bedrooms according to code. Besides, you're supposed to be providing the heat there. ;-)

Dammit, BG, you are always shooting down my good ideas! :)

Is a pellet stove acceptable? I have seen open fireplaces in some of the bedrooms in the McMansions I've visited...

I really don't need another chimney, anyway!

Chris

I think about it all the time. Either an insert or hearth stove will be in my upstairs fireplace some day, but for now the fireplace does just fine when the Fireview can't keep up which is kind of rare anyway. Also too many other projects taking up the funds.

Todd said:
I think about it all the time. Either an insert or hearth stove will be in my upstairs fireplace some day, but for now the fireplace does just fine when the Fireview can't keep up which is kind of rare anyway. Also too many other projects taking up the funds.

Todd:was thinking maybe the pacific 2.0cu.ft. for the upstairs? That would be the insert. According to Tom on chimney sweep on line, it and the summit works fine even without the blower running because of the design of the insert.hmmm.

Should I post some pics of that space? it is massive, with the 8ft to 12ft rise--albiet there is a ceiling fan at the greater height.

Even though I might get my way on this,the hearth extension will have to be kept to a minimum, so means an insert. wife loves those precious hardwood floors. and doesn`t want anymore space taken away than is absoultely neccessary. to meet code..

I just know that another wood burning appliance is the right thing to do,sure would beat the hell out of living with the upstairs at 17C most of the time. think that is about 62F..

PS-wouldn`t mind a little support from the ladies on this forum that love that wood heat. Would give me so much more ammo :)

When i had my home built in 2000 i had a extra flume put in for the basement in case i ever refinished it and decided to put a stove in.If i ever get around to finishing the basement i will put a free standing wood stove in.The only problem i may have is that to the top of the chimney it would be around 35ft.

Already have one in the basement and one on the first floor. Also a spare pellet stove and wood stove in reserve.

I have my bag limit of wood stoves.

We bought (not yet installed) a PE Summet for the main floor. We have been heating with a Hotblaze 1400 wood furnace in the basement and it does a good job of keeping the house warm but we decided we wanted something that we could sit by and enjoy and that would hopefully be more efficient, especially during milder weather. The wood furnace is difficult to keep a small fire in it.

I expect the wood furnace to bo unused unless we get extremely cold weather.

We did add a pellet stove a year ago, but that has been a disappointment for us. Certainly more expensive to operate (I cut my own wood) and it didn't keep us warm except when the temps were mild.

Ken

Why not put another armor plated, vault thick Kodiak upstairs?

I think about it, but more from a- if I were to get one, type of angle. See- I don't have a fireplace but my folks do, and them being retirees and all, I gently shove them in the direction of an isert sometimes..................

Already have two, albeit that they're in separate buildings. They both get their respective jobs done quite nicely. During the coldest part of winter, it's about all I can do to keep up with everything burning two stoves all day every day entails. I think I've bagged my limit as well. Rick

BeGreen said:
Why not put another armor plated, vault thick Kodiak upstairs?

That would be the plan for sure. Probably the 1200 this time. Now here is the dilema? If the one downstairs works really well, then I won`t get another for upstairs. That is to say if I can actually burn 24/7? So I have actually considered cheating,like letting it burn out during the day so the house cools off,but not telling the wife that it wasn`t going all day. On the other hand if it does burn 24/7 and gets the job done,then maybe I would just be cheating myself :roll:

Decisions,decisions?

The Isle Royale did fine heating our 2100 square feet from the walkout lower level during
subzero temps.

We've got a Majestic fireplace upstairs that could use an insert, but it would seem to
be overkill and can't justify the cost.

Years ago (10) we started out with just a little Lopi Patriot upstairs in the livingroom. It did a great job of keeping part of the house warm, but only carried a fire for about 6 hours of useable heat before requiring a refill. Once I became totally addicted to scrounging wood, cutting, splitting, lusting after chainsaws and such, I decided it would be great if we could heat the entire house with wood and not run the furnace at all, since it still kicked on when the Lopi was burning. After a good bit of research I settled on an Englander add-on furnace. For our work schedules it is perfect. It carries the whole house for about 10 hours and until temps drop below 18 F & windy then the little stove gets lit to keep things perking along. Since installing the add-on it has been all wood 24/7 and the furnace hasn't run except for a test each year for five winters now. We burn about 4 full cords per season.

I just "downed" my VC Resolute 1 after it provided us with a good warm winter. Vacuumed, I'll be checking seals and clean the glass good in the next few days. Plans are to have a sweep come by this summer to tend to the chimney, or maybe I'll do it myself.

I'm adding a recent eBay win, a VC Intrepid, made in the same year or so as my Resolute (1979), in my garage. I'll spend the summer making it ready for winter, and making sure it is safe. That means I'll be able to get things done next winter

Our bedrooms go down to 56F and usually are 58 or so, never much above 60 during the winter. You just cant move that much heat around 2 90"s and down a hallway with 2 of those damned transoms blocking the way fans or not. I could but then I would have to burn half again more pellets all the time and roast the living room all night long. Have you tried using an electric blanket ? We put ours under the mattress pad and leave it there all winter. Its a lot cheaper than an electric mattress pad and works fine. Just keep it on low and have some decent blankets. We have nice European down blankets and they are a world apart from what we use over here. Decent blankets are fairly hard to find here in the US unless you get them from one of the overpriced places or magazines but slowly we are coming around to the modern world. They have always turned the heat way down or off at night over there.

I have added another stove and will be able to heat my 3000 SF home in Maine with wood only. I have a VC resolute and an englander 30 to heat with. I have my 6 cord cut, split and stacked and ready to go for next years wood only heating season.

I am also looking into getting an additional stove. Last year we bought a Kodiak 1700 insert with blower and it heated the downstairs(1200sqf) fairly good but the upstairs would barely break 60f on a good day.Our house is well insulated but we have cathedral ceilings upstairs and the ceiling fan is more that 6feet from the peak of the ceiling and can't be moved I chose the Kodiak because it was rated for a ZC fireplace with a prefab double lined chimney and we added a 30foot SS flex liner to it. The third layer never gets warmer than room temp. I fabricated a plate to seal the gap between the liner and dome top of the ZC box to prevent hot air going up and put a vent in room ceiling above stove to let heat rise to second floor hall. I have several questions about the insert and other stoves. Is there anything to do to make the insert work better like insulate behind it inside the ZC box. It has good makeup air and draft but I wish it could radiate more heat. Second, I was thinking about adding an add-on wood furnace, duct it to our LP forced hot air furnace ducts in the basement and add an external chimney, to heat the upstairs. I also saw indoor wood boilers that you can add a heat exchanger to your existing FHA furnace which may be easier to install. Any ideas?

I thought about it, but my house really isnt setup for it. I always wanted a smaller stove in a large kitchen. dont have it yet though!

Status
Not open for further replies.