How many of you did your own install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... planning to do my own, was going to just have the building inspector come by after, and hadn't even thought about the ins. co. :eek:hh: Good info folks.

Another MA guy here and I did my own install. The state of MA does require a permit to be pulled but it can be installed by the homeowner. As expected, the inspector was not 'up to snuff' on pellet stove requirements so to make things right for him I provided him with detailed cad drawings I did and every manual and spec sheet I could come up with. Owners manual, installation guide, all clearance specifications (which I doubled the distances for peace of mind) data sheets for the durarock, tiles and mortar used for my hearth, etc. He was very pleased with all the information I provided him and even said that he learned a few things. The only thing he questioned was the height of the pellet vent above the roof line which exactly 2' above the ridge line.

It's interesting that in MA you are required to pull a permit for just about everything you do in and to your home. Electrical you can do yourself (which can kill you in an instant) but must pass inspection. But plumbing - even if you want to change your faucet you MUST pull a permit and hire a licenced plumber to do it. The concern is plumbing something wrong and back-feeding the municipal water system somehow and causing a serious public health problem.

I would definately suggest that you pull a permit to cover your "6" every possible way just in case.

Happy heating!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.