How many of you guys have a Chiminea?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
I supply a woman at work with small splits/chunks for their chiminea; she keeps saying to me "I can't believe that you don't have one". I never got interested in them, but was wondering if you guys have them and use them. Thanks!

I have a firepit an must say dont use it near as much as I thought I would. Only really enjoy it at dusk and evening but the mosquito's are so bad we dont really stay outside at night anymore.

I just came in from sitting around the chiminea with my wife and three boy's. We toasted marshmallows after dinner for dessert. It's a great way to use the cut off pieces of too long rounds.

I got one from my Bro-inlaw for Christmas. Big metal one- nice. Put it together in January- but have not used it yet.
Kinda sad.

My wife always points them out at walmart and lowes when we are there and says how cool it would be to have one. I really dont get the appeal since we have a fire pit for bonfires. I guess if we wanted a fire closer to the house or something. I think it might be a girl thing but that could be the caveman in me coming out. If so sorry in advance.

ditto to what Glacialhills said...it's my understanding that those with Chiminea's have them because of zoning regs against open fires. I have a huge 10-20 tire bud rim with elevated on a 6" log holder to burn splitter trash and junk wood for outdoor campfires...work great. Throw your feet on it and dump a wheelbarrow load of splitter trash...cant do that with a Chiminea. But if you live in a Condo I suppose they have a certain appeal cause in the end ...sitting by a fire is a cool thing to do.

The benefit is the smoke tends to blow over you when you are sitting versus a firepit. I want to get an aluminum one so I don't have to worry about rust stains on my back patio (and the clay ones slowly sponge-up from moisture).

I also have a metal one and use it a few times a summer for hot dog and marshmallow roasts. Unfortunately where I live it is considered an open fire and thus prohibited by local bylaws. However cooking fires are permitted so that's what we use it for.

It's kind of nice on a weekend night.

what the hell are they? never heard of em

"Seems like a waste of wood that could be used for heat in the winter. "
I see your point, but it's nice just to sit in front of a fire in the summer with a beer and zone out. You don't like having a camp fire?

My brother and my inlaws have them. Bro uses his a LOT. The chimney helps with smoke quite a bit in comparison to open fires. There's plenty of wood on my property that I wouldn't burn indoors or in my kiln- I may get or make one of these for less mosquito-ee weather.

I see lots of them on decks that never seem to get used.
Too many skeets here, too.

I have a neighbor with one who uses it to burn trash and very green wood. All the neighbors are tired of calling the cops and F dept. Everyone around him would like to see the things banned completely. Just can't catch him burning trash. (throws "wood" on top for visitors)

I don't have one, but I have a dream of building a Gazebo with one (or an out door fireplace - likely home made) in the center, venting through the roof. This would keep the mosquitos and the smoke away from those enjoying the fire.

For those with huge mosquito problems, the Mosquito Magnets work wonders, but they do need to be maintained. Some mechincal/electrical troubleshooting capabilities are a definite plus. My yard went from a bloodbath at dusk the year we moved in, to not having to use bug spray outdoors at dusk for the past several years. Nice!

If anyone has seen an outdoor fireplace built into a gazebo, let me know. I would appreciate design ideas...

Pete

Yeah I was given a clay one for Christmas a couple of years ago. It was nice while it lasted. Apparently they aren't designed for the type of outside fires I like to build.

I was dropping pieces of 2x4 down the chimney part (not pt or painted) and would get that baby going so that you thought the chimney part was the afterburner on a F-16 (Ive got pics). The side of the belly part finally cracked and fell off. It was just the excuse I needed to build by fire pit which is much better and more functional IMO. I built it big enough so I can burn brush in it, but not so big that it didn't still feel intemit.

But if you're just building small quaint fires, there's nothing wrong with a Chiminea though.

We have mosquitoes here too but ya have to live in the world as it exists...at least the newer mosquito sprays don't have that dirty skin feel do we have no problem using them. Its a good gig to sit by at a campfire and check out the stars.

savageactor7 said:
We have mosquitoes here too but ya have to live in the world as it exists...at least the newer mosquito sprays don't have that dirty skin feel do we have no problem using them. Its a good gig to sit by at a campfire and check out the stars.

Couldn't of said it better my man.

The fire does keep some at bay, and I do eat my share of DEET every year, but I also plan my camping trips according to temp and mosquitoes.

I took my dogs out early this am and saw more bats in the sky at once than I've ever seen in this part of the world. Pretty amazing.

You can make your own Chiminea cheaply if you have a welder. I made mine from a 20 pound propane tank by cutting a window in it with an oxy-acetylene torch, and using pieces of a discarded "torchiere" halogen lamp for legs. For a chimney I used an 18" length of sewer pipe. It's been in use for about five years now and is still in good shape, other than having to reweld two legs when the tree fell on it.

You can put an old grate on top of the chimney and with a low fire toast the hot dog buns on that. Yum.

I think cutting open a propane tank with a welding torch is a little further than I'd be willing to go to save a few bucks oO

We just picked up a cast-iron one on sale at Menards. Has a detachable swing-out grill, so it can do double duty. It's more portable than a firepit also.

Adios Pantalones said:
The fire does keep some at bay, and I do eat my share of DEET every year, but I also plan my camping trips according to temp and mosquitoes.

I took my dogs out early this am and saw more bats in the sky at once than I've ever seen in this part of the world. Pretty amazing.

Enjoy the bats while you can! This weird disease they can't seem to identify -- I think it's called white nose syndrome -- is likely spreading. I used to have lots of bats here, but the big winter cave 30 miles south of here got infected with whatever the bat disease is, and I haven't seen a single solitary one here this year. All gone. I have nearly constant breeze and lots of tree swallows around, so few mosquitoes (lucky me!), but noticeably more of 'em this year without the bats.

Do they not have Citronella candles back east? Or have the mosquitos built up a resistance?

i got a big green egg , does that count?????? speaking of which , has anyone tried thos elittle chicken leg and wing racks for the grill? hook em by the knuckle and they hang vertically and cook , does a fantastic job on my egg. cooked some tonight with some hickory chunks took about 45 minutes at 325 F i doubt i'll ever cook drumsticks laying down on a grill again.

Status
Not open for further replies.