How many of you move a ton a pellets on your truck? Do you have a full ton truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
YADAYADA YADA, I use my 97 F150 all the time to move a ton and have never had issues, Take your time and you will be fine...

im glad i dont live in PA ......too many laws and regulations and picky law enforcement people...lol

Had no problem moving a ton of pellets in my Chevy Silverado 1500 07 model.

burrman said:
im glad i dont live in PA ......too many laws and regulations and picky law enforcement people...lol
GVW laws are federal and enforced the same in every state.

So, after reading everything here, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be splitting up my ton of pellets over 2 trips. You never know when an accident is going to happen. Do all home depots give you their truck for free if you buy their pellets? That might be the way for me to go if it is offered. Also unloading the pellets is always a job that I do alone. I hop up on the truck I unload 5 bags onto my wheelbarrow, then I hop off the truck and move the wheelbarrow to the bilco door, then I carry one bag at a time down the basement to different pile locations, go back up the steps and move the empty wheelbarrow back to the truck and hop up there again. It is a lot of work, and last year I moved a ton about a month and a half after my shoulder surgery. Getting 25 bags at a time is better for me. I'll just pay with my coupon and make 2 trips. Has anyone else been inspired to change their method by reading this post?

XactLEE said:
Just an FYI.

If a truck has a GVW of 10,000 and the truck weighs 6000 empty does NOT mean that it will axle out properly on the scales with 4000 in the bed. 2500-3000 in the bed loaded as far to the front as possible MAYBE.
You can be fined and or red tag/impounded for certain violations.
Individual tickets can be wrote for:
Overweight on registered GVW
Overweight on stickered GVW
Overweight on each and/or all tires. Overweight on a steer tire is an automatic red tag/impound violation.
Overweight on each and/or all axels.
Just sayin' .
The last overload ticket I got about 8 years ago, I was 5.1% over my registered GVW and the ticket was $2800.
5% on 10,000 GVW is only 500 lbs.

I MADE 1 TRIP WITH TWO TON. READING ABOUT ALL THE FINES ETC. HAS CONVINCED ME 1 TON IN A 3/4 TON IS PLENTY, ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING I DON'T HAVE TO TRAVEL FAR TO PICK THEM UP. I DON'T KNOW HOW BAD VIRGINIA WOULD BE BUT YOU CAN BUY A LOT OF GAS AND PELLETS FOR A $2800.00 FINE.

XactLEE said:
burrman said:
true but some are just more forgiving....ive watched parking wars with pa in them i think....woundnt wanna go there..lol

I have to make 3 trips to move a ton. I just started stocking up on the Home Depot deal down the street from work. I have loaded 25 bags on short runs but from work I just load 18 or so.

Attachments

• IMAG0872.jpg
    IMAG0872.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 948
burrman said:
XactLEE said:
burrman said:
true but some are just more forgiving....ive watched parking wars with pa in them i think....woundnt wanna go there..lol

NO forgiveness. I've never had one single truck drive away from an inspection that was overloaded. EVER, in any state!

Cranky64 said:
I have to make 3 trips to move a ton. I just started stocking up on the Home Depot deal down the street from work. I have loaded 25 bags on short runs but from work I just load 18 or so.

Exactly what I have been doing. I load 17 bags from the Lowes near work so it takes 3 days to bring home a ton. That way I am just under my vehicles recommendations on the sticker. Rides a little different but no different than if 3 225 lb people were in the passenger seats. Plus no added mileage for me since Lowes is next door to work.

My brother and I get them delivered.It cost me an extra 30.00 to put them right in front of my shed.No wear on truck,no tickets.

Better to run light and run often. The 1/2 hour you save by combining two loads into 1 isn't worth it when the extra wear and tear leads to time and money repairing the truck or trailer.

I can haul one ton plus....
100_1253.jpg

Okay so my picture won't post...trust me.

100_1253.jpg

I have a 1/2 Ranger and make two trips, just 20 mins away to fetch a ton. Not worth a broken spring. I have the guys split the ton on two pallets so they use the forklift to get them in my truck bed. When I get home, I unload them in my cart, pulled by a JD lawn tractor and drive them right into my shed for easy moving. Always wear that back brace! :)

08 Tacoma Reg Cab 4x4, 4cyl/5sp and I brought home a ton today. Owner's manual set payload at 1450. I had the guys at Lowes put the pellet centered over the rear axle. I drove 25 MPH for 3 miles home and, though I bounced a bit, didn't hurt a thing. They're safely stowed away awaiting their fiery deaths!!!!! I'd brought home 35 bags two weeks ago and didn't see a noticeable difference with the added 750 lbs. But I am a product of my attendance in public schools in KY for the first 12 grades!

tjnamtiw said:
shadow_dog said:
I have a NBS 2007 GMC 1500 Sierra crew cab, short bed, Z71. I have hauled 1 ton of pellets a couple of times now. No problems at all.
........ YET!!! Reference the post above you. States and cities are looking for all the revenues they can get. A big pile of pellets stacked up in the back of your truck is a big red flag. But, hey, it's your money.

Here in SW Ohio my local city doesn't seem to care.. Besides, the 1 ton wasn't showing. About all the bags were under the UNDERCOVER bed cover with less than 6 bags in the back seat area. I have seen several trucks of all sorts almost dragging the rear bumper, the police don't give them a second look. Besides the 1 ton barely even squats my truck. Yes it is my money!

[/quote] ........ YET!!! Reference the post above you. States and cities are looking for all the revenues they can get. A big pile of pellets stacked up in the back of your truck is a big red flag. But, hey, it's your money.[/quote]

I spoke with my cop friends, also in sw Ohio, and they said your rear bumper would have to dragging and throwing sparks before they would care.

........ YET!!! Reference the post above you. States and cities are looking for all the revenues they can get. A big pile of pellets stacked up in the back of your truck is a big red flag. But, hey, it's your money.[/quote]

I spoke with my cop friends, also in sw Ohio, and they said your rear bumper would have to dragging and throwing sparks before they would care.[/quote]

That makes me feel really safe driving in Ohio if the cops don't care how unsafe the trucks are! Imagine a pickup truck loaded with a ton or more of pellets blowing a rear tire as you are passing them. (shaking my head in disbelief and amazement).

doublewide said:
So, after reading everything here, I have come to the conclusion that I am going to be splitting up my ton of pellets over 2 trips. You never know when an accident is going to happen. Do all home depots give you their truck for free if you buy their pellets? That might be the way for me to go if it is offered. Also unloading the pellets is always a job that I do alone. I hop up on the truck I unload 5 bags onto my wheelbarrow, then I hop off the truck and move the wheelbarrow to the bilco door, then I carry one bag at a time down the basement to different pile locations, go back up the steps and move the empty wheelbarrow back to the truck and hop up there again. It is a lot of work, and last year I moved a ton about a month and a half after my shoulder surgery. Getting 25 bags at a time is better for me. I'll just pay with my coupon and make 2 trips. Has anyone else been inspired to change their method by reading this post?

Nope.. I will continue to do it my way (1/2 ton 03 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew)... At least until next yr... I will be getting a 3/4 or 1 ton, Diesel, Crew Cab next year... But for the time being.... Stick with what works.

Easy rule of thumb...
1/2 ton = max payload 2000lbs
3/4 ton = max payload 4000lbs
1 ton = max payload 6000lbs.

NON full size trucks, like a ranger or something are usually around 1250-1500lbs.

Same goes for the SUV variant.
Like 1/2 ton Suburban etc...

That's MAX payload. But the typical payload is right right around what i have above.. sometimes a little above/below
It depends on what your truck is though... like extended cab, crew cab etc... It all factors off the GVWR. So a heavier empty weight, equals less payload it can carry.
Same with engines and such... engines typically differ the amount you can carry because of the weight of the engine is different I believe, and not because it has more torque :S
Carrying a 1 ton pallet of pellets in a 1/2 ton truck is perfectly legal as it's within capacity.
Not so with a smaller pickup.
Your max loading info is usually in your driver door jamb by the way.
Or just look in your manual or online.

I've seen a F150 at my old job carry a 2 1/2 ton copper block before... I don't know how well it rode, but I can tell you... it looked like a truck that was on pimp my ride because of how low it was. They probably didn't care about the driver making a few pennies above minimum wage stealing the block, because they knew he couldn't get far before the truck would break down lol.
I think I have a pic of it somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up

Hass said:
Easy rule of thumb...
1/2 ton = max payload 2000lbs
3/4 ton = max payload 4000lbs
1 ton = max payload 6000lbs.

NON full size trucks, like a ranger or something are usually around 1250-1500lbs.

Same goes for the SUV variant.
Like 1/2 ton Suburban etc...

That's MAX payload. But the typical payload is right right around what i have above.. sometimes a little above/below
It depends on what your truck is though... like extended cab, crew cab etc... It all factors off the GVWR. So a heavier empty weight, equals less payload it can carry.
Same with engines and such... engines typically differ the amount you can carry because of the weight of the engine is different I believe, and not because it has more torque :S
Carrying a 1 ton pallet of pellets in a 1/2 ton truck is perfectly legal as it's within capacity.

Not so with a smaller pickup.
Your max loading info is usually in your driver door jamb by the way.
Or just look in your manual or online.

I've seen a F150 at my old job carry a 2 1/2 ton copper block before... I don't know how well it rode, but I can tell you... it looked like a truck that was on pimp my ride because of how low it was. They probably didn't care about the driver making a few pennies above minimum wage stealing the block, because they knew he couldn't get far before the truck would break down lol.
I think I have a pic of it somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up

Worth mentioning that 1 ton trucks are split into two groups. Single Rear wheels and Duallys. Naturally the dually is rated to carry more.

DexterDay said:
doublewide said:

Nope.. I will continue to do it my way (1/2 ton 03 Ford F-150 FX4 SuperCrew)... At least until next yr... I will be getting a 3/4 or 1 ton, Diesel, Crew Cab next year... But for the time being.... Stick with what works.

Same here! My 06 F150 handles the load fine. Having the tow package really helps and by GVW I am only slightly over. Plus it doesn't look like its etremely over weight. I'm betting the ones "dragging the bumper" will be the ticket risk! I'll keep doing what I'm doing, Only change may be a little less speed!

Status
Not open for further replies.