How many of you move a ton a pellets on your truck? Do you have a full ton truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please God make this thread go away!!!! :sick:

[/quote]

That makes me feel really safe driving in Ohio if the cops don't care how unsafe the trucks are! Imagine a pickup truck loaded with a ton or more of pellets blowing a rear tire as you are passing them. (shaking my head in disbelief and amazement).[/quote]

I am sure he was being a bit facetious. I don't believe they are going to be looking for people that may have overloaded ther truck by several hundred pounds. I'm also sure that if they saw something unsafe they would investigate. Lighten up....Geez.

Since this thread seems to be meandering a bit...I won't feel too bad stretching it a bit more.
On topic -
I currently bring them home in a 97 Ram 1500. She rides low but it works fine.

Off topic -
I am think of selling the truck (even though I haven't actually been able to live without a truck for 15 years) to cut down on the total vehicles in the home.

My wife's SUV can tow 3000+ lbs so I was thinking of getting trailer. Every small, cheap trailer seems to have a load limit of 1200-1800 lbs. I, obviously, am looking for something that can carry a pallet of pellets. Is it a step up in price to get something rated at more that a ton?

Anyone have an idea for something that will work? Cheap, small, durable - not necessarily in that order.

I have a 6x10 enclosed CarryOn trailer that has a 3500# axle under it that can haul 2000#. Again not cheap but it can sure be used for many other things like hauling mulch, furniture, appliances, model airplanes %-P

I can haul 24 tons in my work truck...more if I double stack 'em....

PeteatdockDomtarRhinelander.jpg

Just picked up 1 ton of Wood Fibers, Inc. premium pellets today from HD for $197, got the $20 off via the USPS coupon. Had them fork lift the pallet right into my Silverado pickup, it weighs the back of the truck down pretty good, but since HD is only 6 miles up the road, not a big deal. Most 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks (mine is a 3/4 ton) should be able to haul 1 ton in the bed without any adverse effects on the truck. Auto manufacturers use conservative numbers to avoid lawsuits, but you still should exercise restraint - throwing 2 tons into a 1/2 ton light-duty truck could be a problem.

krooser said:
I can haul 24 tons in my work truck...more if I double stack 'em....

PeteatdockDomtarRhinelander.jpg

Krooser,

What is the max tonnage of the big rig allowed by law? Also if you are at the max limit you won't have room for a Road Lizard. Ten Four Buddy!

Real trucks dont squat :)

Truckpellets.jpg

Double Wide,
Here In WA State we pay for tonnage fees by the 1/2 ton. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket as long as they paid for the correct of fees. Have seen a few trucks broken down with way too much load. I carry 1 ton of pellets at a time in my Ford 3/4 ton comfortably. It has a GVRW of 8,900 lbs. and I'm sure 2 tons would be pushing my luck.

timjk69 said:
Double Wide,
Here In WA State we pay for tonnage fees by the 1/2 ton. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket as long as they paid for the correct of fees. Have seen a few trucks broken down with way too much load. I carry 1 ton of pellets at a time in my Ford 3/4 ton comfortably. It has a GVRW of 8,900 lbs. and I'm sure 2 tons would be pushing my luck.

You can walk into any DMV and tell them to register your 3/4 ton for 20,000 lbs. They will NOT refuse your registration money and when DOT requests your money at a safety check or random pullover it will be mandatory. :coolmad: You CAN NOT exceed axle and door sticker weight ratings no matter what.

preciseLEE said:
timjk69 said:
Double Wide,

You can walk into any DMV and tell them to register your 3/4 ton for 20,000 lbs. They will NOT refuse your registration money and when DOT requests your money at a safety check or random pullover it will be mandatory. :coolmad: You CAN NOT exceed axle and door sticker weight ratings no matter what.

Very true!!

My Bro's truck with 1 ton in it. Hopefully the pic works.

Attachments

• Truck.jpg
    Truck.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 510
The trailer will take 2 more tons, but I only have a 20 minute drive to the pellet store, so I see no point in loading it up any further than this. Towed by a 2006 GMC 3500 (that I borrowed from my father...)

20110916152930531.jpg

preciseLEE said:
timjk69 said:
Double Wide,
quote]

A half ton truck usually has a MAX capacity of 1200-1400 pounds. Dedect for extra passangers and cargo, you might barelly have 1000 ponds for bed capacity. If you EVER get into a bad accident while hauling overweight, look out.

BTW, i drove my truck onto a local scale, and i have exactly 3000 pounds of rated capacity with my truck including full tank fuel and driver. Have a 9600 GVWR.

iron stove said:
preciseLEE said:
timjk69 said:
Double Wide,
quote]

A half ton truck usually has a MAX capacity of 1200-1400 pounds. Dedect for extra passangers and cargo, you might barelly have 1000 ponds for bed capacity. If you EVER get into a bad accident while hauling overweight, look out.

BTW, i drove my truck onto a local scale, and i have exactly 3000 pounds of rated capacity with my truck including full tank fuel and driver. Have a 9600 GVWR.

Agreed.

You may have a weight capacity of 3000lbs ONLY when distributed between your front and rear axle accordingLEE. It's more likely 2000-2500lbs if it is moved to the very front of the bed where the front axle is carrying some of the weight.
Like you mentioned,,, an accident while overweight is negligence and subjects you to LOTS of liability.

That can't be right. My 2000 Ford Ranger has a payload of 1,280lbs bed capacity. GVWR 5,080 and the truck weighs 3,600. So if I have max payload in the bed that only leaves me 200 lbs for in the cab (people etc). Luckily I only weigh 150, so that gives me 50lbs for saws, tools, gas etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.