How many pulls?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How many pulls on average to start your saw? Poulan owners need not vote.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
I got flamed for saying that in reference to a 25 year old saw "If it took me 5 pulls, I’d be out shopping for a new saw". I'm not saying it never ever took more than 5 pulls to start my saw as I've had to clean the carb more than once but if it routinely took 5 or more pulls on my old saw, it would be a darn good excuse to go buy a new one.

Assuming I turned the ignition on :red: the Dolmar starts in very few pulls - although it varies depending on how long the saw has been sitting since the last time I used it. Worst case is if it's been sitting for several months in which case it might take 7-8 pulls, I suspect mostly to prime the fuel system. If it's just been a few days, maybe 2-3 pulls, if the engine is hot, it is a consistent 1 pull start. In any case it's not a big deal as with the compression release button, it is a very easy pull - I have to pull harder to turn over my Pull-on that's half the size.

All start drills - set chain brake, make sure ignition is on...

Cold start drill
1. pull choke out (also sets 1/2 speed throttle lock) push compression release button (DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE)
2. pull until the saw "burps" - or fires a couple times and dies - note that this will release the compression release button - If I used the saw recently, 2-3 pulls, if it's been a while, maybe a half dozen...
3. push choke in, push compression release button (DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE)
4. pull saw to start - usually once, sometimes twice

Warm start drill...
1. Pull choke out, push back in (sets 1/2 speed throttle lock) push compression release button (DO NOT TOUCH THROTTLE)
2. pull to start - 90% of time, once, occasionally twice. If still no start go to cold start drill (rare, and usually saw has had chance to cool down more than you thought)

- Don't ask me about the Pull-on...

Gooserider

For my Stihl's, usually takes 2 or 3 pulls at full choke, then let the choke off, and the 4th pull it's running. On warm days can cut this by 1, on an extremely cold day, add one.

For the sake of the poll, I probably should have stated a cold start where the saw sat at least overnight. Also assuming the carb wasn't run dry and stored for days/weeks/months.

My cold start procedure is:
full choke - throttle lock - one or two pulls to get a sputter.
half choke - throttle lock - one or two pulls but if I don't get the timing right on the choke release, I might have to give it one more pull.

Warm start depends on how warm it is. Often it is just one pull with no choke and no throttle lock. If that doesn't do it, I try the throttle lock. If still no joy, I try half choke. If I have to go to the cold start procedure, I'm pissed.

I don't like running the saw out of gas and I will shut it down in the middle of a cut if it starts to sputter rather than risk running it dry.

Dead cold start. Kill switch to on position, pull the choke, press primer bulb the recommended 6 times and pull the cord. Max of three pulls to fire and it stays running (unlike the weedeater).

Hot start. Turn it on and pull. Fires in one or two pulls.

Warm start. Turn on switch, pull the choke and pull the cord. If it doesn't fire by the third pull I need to press the primer bulb a few times.

All mine are like clockwork. From dead cold in any weather, 5 pulls at full choke, 2 pulls at fast throttle (sputters on the 2nd), and one pull to fire. Been that was since they were all new.

mike1234 said:
For my Stihl's, usually takes 2 or 3 pulls at full choke, then let the choke off, and the 4th pull it's running. On warm days can cut this by 1, on an extremely cold day, add one.

x2

both my 272's require no more than 5 when dead cold...after that it's 1 pull only.

Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

x2

x3

Flatbedford said:
Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

x2

x3
x4 for cold starts. On a warm start, I just snap my fingers.

Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

x2
+1

Craftsman 42cc..bout 7 years old. Starts on the third pull when cold/sitting overnight.
No reason right now to buy a pro saw

Jags said:
Flatbedford said:
Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

x2

x3
x5 for cold starts. On a warm say I just give it a stern look! :)

burntime said:
Jags said:
Flatbedford said:
Bigg_Redd said:
mike1234 said:

x2

x3
x5 for cold starts. On a warm say I just give it a stern look! :)

Funny, that and a quick finger point is how I split White Oak.

For some reason all four of my saws are the same drill. Pull choke. Pull twice and they pop on the second pull. Close choke and they start on the next pull.

My 064 since new ....Pull 2-3 times at full choke until it putters, put on 1/2 choke pull once and it is running. Any variations of this method and it WILL NOT start it will kick back and try to rip your fingers off :shut: If you let it sit for an hour and start it properly it would start. Once warm it only takes one pull. One advantage to this is no one liked to borrow it because they couldn't start it.

It generally depends on when the saw was last run, how cold it is out and how clean my air filter is.

My 372XPW can be cranky cold, especially if it hasn't been run in a long time, but generally it starts in 3-5 pulls. 346XP is usually 3, Stihl 056 usually 3-6 pulls, 440 3-5 pulls, 036 Pro 3-4 pulls.

Relatively new Homlite 33cc (16" bar semichisel non-safety chain)

Cold: 3-4 pulls (2 full choke, 1-2 half choke)
Warm: 90% first pull
Hot: Your arm will fall off first!

If I shut it off during heavy cutting, it won't start no matter how many times you pull. It is a great way of getting me to sharpen often - it normally starts first pull after cooling off while touching up the chain

stihl 026PRO
about 6 to 8 pulls if its been on the shelf over a month.
three or four if last used yesterday

usually just one when warm

don't see much of a difference Winter / Summer

I had an outboard engine that either started on the second pull or not at all. If it didn't start on the second pull, I knew I wasn't going fishing that day. One pull with choke, one without.

Status
Not open for further replies.