How many rows deep

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Each section is 8' deep 7' tall in front, 6' in rear and 8' wide. Five sections in all
Exactly what I was thinking.

I don't think chicken wire will work if it is the lightweight stuff I'm thinking of. I use 2" x 4" x 6' tall welded wire fencing. I think you could also use regular galvanized chain link fencing. A roll of the welded wire fencing 50' long is about $50 for me. The slope you use and the amount of support you use on the roof depends on the load. We could get a lot of snow here, so mine is supported pretty good and has a slope of 1.5' / 12' so things can run off. Mine kind of looks like the one BKVP posted, except that I stack on pallets. 4 pallets and a 4' x 4' in the center on the ground between them covers the ground area. I have some landscape cloth with sand on top under the pallets. I'll be dead before I have any issues with my shed unless a tornado hits it, but I'll have bigger things to worry about then.
Yeah I'll look into the welded fence wire. Mine would be more for just containing the pieces on the back side to keep the wood from falling over if the stack shifted for some reason. Yeah chicken wire is pretty thin compared to the welded wire. I was also thinking maybe those 4'x8' sheets of concrete mesh. We don't get a lot of snow and it would probably be blown off before it would melt and run down the back. Rain wise I plan on putting some gutters on to divert the water around my driveway and wood. So far this season we only have had about 1' of snow the usual amount isn't much more than 2' total for my area so snow load isn't much of an issue. My plan was to to do 12' bays 8' deep and 8' tall in the front 7' or 7'6" in the back.

What I discovered was that rotating wood for a FIFO ( first in first out) system was untenable for the structure I had. In hindsight, I'd set something up (anything) that would let me stack two cords (four cords total) that allowed two cords on the right to season while two cords on the left were ready to burn.

Burn two cords for one stove and leave the other two cords to season.

In other words, build bays that will hold two cords.
Exactly what I was thinking 1 bay per a season so by the time I get to the last seasoned stack the next year I would be starting back at the front. My plan is to get about 4 cord per a section. If using 12' bays 8' deep and 8' tall in the front and 7' in the back it gives me 4.87 cord per a bay. I figure on a cold year I burn around 4 cord so it would give me a little extra just in case.

Reactions: Soundchasm
On my woodshed #1, I used welded wire fencing as well. I also stack 6 deep on both my woodshed #1 and #2, while I stack 2 deep in my pole barn. For my woodsheds, I want as much wood stored as possible. Since I have access to so much firewood (15 acres) and I'm so far ahead, I can afford the lack of firewood drying "perfection" to increase the amount of wood being stored. Or another way to put it is: Time and wind forgive a lot of stacking "sins".

Pic of Woodshed #1:

y8McM70.jpg

Last edited:
I have a bunch of aspen I need to take down and was just going to let it rot instead of dragging it out of the woods and going through all the effort of bucking and splitting. I don't think it is really worth my time when I can get as much Ash and hard maple as I need at my parents place. I could always do a small bay on the end for the uglys and softwoods.

I split and stacked it uncovered for 2 years, the 3rd winter was only top covered and burnt it the 4th winter, like I said earlier, the middle 2 rows were noticeably more moist than the outside rows.
If I was going to do it again, I would just do 2 long rows rather then 4 shorter rows, I settled with 3 rows for the wood shed because its permanently top covered with open sides, so the middle row should breath better.
Some of that wood looks awfully familiar

Some of that wood looks awfully familiar
All the oak is still marinating and I blew through about half the locust during the 1st cold snap, The locust is awesome stuff, cant believe how much heat it releases. Thanks again for the hook up

All the oak is still marinating and I blew through about half the locust during the 1st cold snap, The locust is awesome stuff, cant believe how much heat it releases. Thanks again for the hook up
Yes , that locust kicks out some major btus . Unfortunatly i had to buy firewood this year but to my surprise the guy dropped 2.5 cords of 100% locust off for only $300 ! I need to find some oak or maple to mix in so the stove doesnt melt lol You're welcome again for the wood , i was glad to give it to someone who would use it . How many cords did it stack out to ? From what i understand the new owners took the stove out and gave the rest of the wood away .

Yes , that locust kicks out some major btus . Unfortunatly i had to buy firewood this year but to my surprise the guy dropped 2.5 cords of 100% locust off for only $300 ! I need to find some oak or maple to mix in so the stove doesnt melt lol You're welcome again for the wood , i was glad to give it to someone who would use it . How many cords did it stack out to ? From what i understand the new owners took the stove out and gave the rest of the wood away .
With everything split and stacked I was around 3 cords, my pal Tom also ended up with about 2.5 cords, I almost have him converted to become a BK owner to.

Reactions: Chas0218