How many satisfied Cat owners out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bmwbj said:
JP, I have really never had great luck with my stove. As I have previosly posted,
it seems the cat just doesn't want to "light" off as it should. My secondary probe is clean,
my refractory chambers are spotless and so is the cat. The stack is clean as a new install,
and I have burned a 3" coal bed for about an hour. I have always waited untill the temps on both the
stack (18" up) and the center grittle are both arount 700*, and it still doesn't light off when I engage the
cat as instructed. The stove worked perfectly every time for about 10 burns, when the stove was new
4 years ago and when I recently replaced the cat. Either I have been doing something wrong all along or
this stove really sucks. Pardon my additude, but I think you can see my frustration. It also seems that no one
from VC really wants to help. I have given up with Cat. operations and only burn the stove like an old "smoke dragon". At the least I have heat...
Hey Mandoo and Moondoggy, maybe you can help bmwbj out here since you both run VC cats. BJ, as you describe it, your case certainly does seem "mysterious". Two things occur to me as possibilities; first, you're exposing your cat to such high flame temps that you might quickly be damaging it, and secondly, you might be poisoning it if you use any newspaper with color print in it to start your fires. Essentially in running a cat stove, you simply need to reach and sustain 500 degrees in the gas stream feeding through your cat to light it off. Once it is lit off, which you can tell by the dissapearance of smoke ftom your stack and by rising griddle temperatures, you will start to reduce the air supply and the cat will stay lit as long as there is a smoke supply for it to feed on regardless of whether the firebox temps drop below 500 degrees or not. This is why cat's can provide such long burns because you can run your stove very low, even at a smolder, and the cat just fires off the smoke. To me it seems that trying to light off your cat at 700 degrees risks exposing it to very hot flames for a long time before you engage it which might damage the cat, but also your box temps are so hot that you are getting pretty complete combustion the old fashioned way leaving little in the gas stream for the cat to combust. I'm assuming you are correct in saying your flue is perfect though I think draft issues are very important in all of the EPA stoves and I'd like to know your chimney set up. You also say your wood is not a problem though cat's do need a nice dry wood supply to run their best. You say it runs great until you engage the combustor. Engaging the combustor does reduce the air flow a bit but that is the essentially the only change to the stove's air flow operation and in itself would seem not to explain the smoke that results. If you are damaging your cat from poisoning it or from flame impingement, it would seem to me possible that when you engage the combustor, the combination of reduced air flow with a lack of light off would then result in substantial smoke from your stack. If you want, PM me and we can go over all the procedures and get you stove working the way it's designed to. Even with the quality issues VC has had, it doesn't seem to me that is what the problem is. Not knowing the real details of air flow in the VC cat stoves, the only other thing that occurs to me is a problem with it's secondary air flow.

Increment happy cat owners by one. Going on 20 years with a VC Defiant Encore, can't imagine owning another type of stove.

i'm only running a intrepid...... getting 3-4 hr burns on a 16" log limit. also this is my first year, i am burning "delivered seasoned" wood if you know what i mean.
honestly though, i would crap myself with fear if i waited until 700. all cats are different i think but my light off is 500. (i wait to ~450-500 on my magnet stack thermo, on the pipe about 6" from stove.....which is actually probably closer to 600 internal) dang wiith my punk/mixed wood, i dont think i could get that high. still cant get griddle above 575, but I do know that is mainly from the wood quality.

like JPL said, i think your waiting too long.
least you know theres no creasote build up in your chimney!

I'm a happy cat owner now...after trial and error.

1. 3"bed of coals

2. 2 to 3 3" splits

3. Doors cracked 1/8 " open

4. Internal flue temp over 1000*

5. Bypass flue with Bypass lever, and listen for light-off.

6. Run with door cracked open for 5 min.

7. Close doors and regulate pirmary to desired temp.

8. Success... :)

wow ok, correct me if i'm wrong,
Flue temp over 1000 degrees?? . the book says 500.
what is griddle temp if flue is 1000 ?
+ running with cat on and door open is just wrong.

My Jotul 3 used to have a cat. It did give off more heat at low burns, but was a pain to go through the light off process every time I opened the door to add wood. With the Jotul 3 you do have to stoke it quite often due to the very small fire box. The cat died at age 4 and the past ten years I have gone catless.

Status
Not open for further replies.