How many sharpennings per file?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Jaque Janaviac

Feeling the Heat
Dec 17, 2009
Ouisconsin
OK, reading around here I gather that one ought to sharpen the chain every tank or two of gas. I am hoping that this will make the process of sharpening much quicker. I let it go much longer and the work to sharpen was a pain. I can't imagine doing that amount of work every tank of gas - so hopefully it's a lot quicker if you don't let the chain get really dull.

How fast do you go through files? 2 sharpenings per file?

I'm guessing 8 or more. I just give each tooth a stroke or two after each tank or so. Then you can rotate the file 90 degrees if you have it in a file guide. I'm using an Oregon file guide. It's not a big deal. The 20" bar is more annoying than the 18". I should probably consider a 16" bar for the smaller 5100. This takes off a lot less metal than sending them out for who knows how much metal removal. I do send them out if they're really damaged.

ATB,
Mike

If you get the good stihl ones they last a long time...

I guess I'm a cheapskate - I use the same file for way more than 8 sharpenings, probably more like one file per chain. I spray it good with WD40 and wipe it down with a rag now and again to clean out the filings and gunk.

To keep a file from clogging up.....rub it with chalk from a chalkboard and remember to lift it off the work on the backstroke. A good file should last 20-30 sharpenings.

I was about to start a thread on this, anyone here use a power chain sharpener ? Could you recommend one.. Is it worth while..

Holy phuq, 8 sharpenings!!!!!!!! I use Pferd files and I'll bet I go 70+, maybe 100+. I know it's alot cuz I'll lose or break a file before it's worn out.
Couple pointers to make em last a long time.
1 When done with each tooth tap the very end of the file (the last half inch with no cutters) on the side of the bar to dislodge filings before starting next tooth.
2 Wrap file in oil impregnated rag before putting in toolbox. This keeps it from rusting and keeps the cutting edges from getting knarled by banging into other tools or side of box.

Another thing. Don't buy those dinky file handles. Find a nice smooth piece of blue beech with a swell at a Y in the branch. A branch you can barely wrap your hand around. Cut the Y off at the swell and then about 6-8" down for a nice handle. The swell will keep your hand from slipping . Drill a hole in the swelled Y end and tap a file in. I did this as I got older and arthritis started setting in. A bigger handle is alot easier to grip.

You can also draw your round files across a scrap piece of copper pipe to dress them up so they bite better.
3989711025_8b60b1c097.jpg

The secret for making the file last is don't run a dull hot chain into wet ground. My father, who could never sharpen a chain should have been arrested for chain abuse. He would run a dull chain into the ground and temper the tips of the cutters. When I went to visit him, he'd have a buch of dull chains for me to sharpen. The file would skip along and the tempered tooth would put a shine on it. I sure could have used a grinder.

Good idea LEE about a Beech Y custom carved handle. I use a Pioneer pistol grip handle that has a thumb rest on it. Having a good sized grip means you get to use all of the file.

Status
Not open for further replies.