How many species in your stacks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I count about 14 different type of firewood that I have acquired:

White Oak
Red Oak
Hickory
Soft Maple
Elm
Cedar
Black Locust
White Pine
Tulip Poplar
Black Cherry
Sweet Gum
Mulberry
Green Ash
Sumac

White Oak
Red Oak
Pin Oak
Hickory
Hackberry
White Ash
Walnut
Crab Apple
Sycamore
I have had many others in my stacks over time, it just depends on what i have available to cut. Stacks right now are mostly Red and White Oak. At one time I had nothing but Hedge. It all burns and I mix species when I cut, split, and stack, so it gets mixed when I burn as well. There aren't to many species I won't take, but of course I go for the good stuff when it is available.

Sugar Maple
Beech
HopHornbeam
Hickory
Apple
Dogwood
Ash
White Pine
Cherry
Tuliptree
Hemlock
Cedar, Eastern
White Birch
Basswood
Grape (8 inches thick!)
Pear
Plum
Crabapple
White Oak
--------

80 % or more Ironwood, Beech, Sugar Maple; Most of the rest Hickory, ash and cherry. Rest is incidental.

Norway maple, white ash, sugar maple, red oak, silver maple, black birch, apple, and in a separate stack.....white willow. It fell on my house during sandy.

I am somewhat of a wood snob. I have limited storage space on my suburban 1/4 acre. I keep about 13 cords on hand and am far enough ahead that I only bother with good stuff unless it falls on my property.
I estimate
60% Red Oak
35 % Black Locust
and the rest is a mix of Ash that fell on my truck this summer, Maple that died on my property line, Some Cherry from across the street, and some kind of Hickory (I think) from down the street.

Doug fir
Red alder
Western hemlock
Western red cedar (kindling)
Western white pine (flooring off-cuts)
Something hardwood-y: birch or some such that fell down in the garden

Red oak
White oak
White pine
Sassafras
Swamp maple
Hickory
Holly
Beach
If it needs to be cut down or it falls down it gets burned we are not picky. In fact I LOVE pine that's right I said it now my neighbors may not talk to me ever again but I love to burn PINE!!!

What is this like to burn? I have a lilac in my yard that is nice but really just a 6 foot high shrub with nice purple flowers but some in town are very, very old and have trunks that are actually tree size.
Sorry about the late reply - I have some older ones in my yard that are standing dead, and it's really just the cores that I'm burning (the trunk plus maybe a foot or so up before the wood gets too thin). Buck Brush (another local variety in the ceanothis family) is similarly nice to burn. At the end of the day, it's just another hardwood, but it's rampant around here and with such thin bark, it (like manzanita) seasons very quickly.

Reactions: Seanm
white oak
red oak
swamp maple
cherry
norway maple

yellow birch
grey birch

white pine
hemlock

Man, this is uber cool. Everybody's inventory is a geographic location clue. Some folks have a dozen or more types. I've always been more interested in the small stuff than the big stuff, so I'm as apt to stare at Walnut heartwood or a fluorescing piece of Cherry as throw it on the stack and keep working. In a way, this sort of stuff really brings out my "inner curator" collecting interesting pieces, and I'll consider myself the docent of the property. ;)

Thanx for "docent", great word!

Reactions: Soundchasm
I usually cut from my 11 acre woodlot so I generally get to pick and choose what I cut for my firewood - Right now it's mostly hickory, followed by black birch, then apple, red oak and some sugar maple.

We've recently moved to a new home with 2.5 acres and lots and lots of hardwood trees around that need to come down. There's also plenty of dead standing wood in smaller trees - mostly white pine and spruce. While I have typically used hardwoods for the fire pit at our camper, for occasional fires in the fireplaces in our homes, and for BBQ - But I"m going to use the softwoods around here for camp fire pit wood from now on and stockpile the hardwood for home heating in the future.

I'm looking to install a stove or a fireplace insert next winter or early in 2015 and by then I hope to have a nice supply of well-seasoned hardwood on hand. Since the wood will be supplemental heat - and since I'll be adding wood indefinitely - that ought to serve me well.

I had planned to have a stove or insert by this winter - but seeing how hot and humid the new house got this past summer - we spent that money (and then some) on an LG mini-split ductless AC/Heat Pump system. Just as well though - I don't have enough seasoned wood yet. We're saving money with the new system - when compared to the oil heat we had to use last winter - but I want to take advantage of the "free" fuel on the two properties we own.

As for the trees in my yard that should come down - I have quite a lot of great firewood in standing stock - beech, red oak, all sorts of hickory - at least 3 different types I think; black birch, sugar maple and some ash. Many of them I can cut down on my own, but for some I'll need to get an arborist as they are too big and/or close to the house.

Elm, silver maple, mesquite, honey locust, birch, pine, red oak, cotton wood, catalpa, cherry, few sticks of hickory, pecan, & apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.