How many square feet will 16000 BTU's heat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to guess 600 square feet.
Depends also on room/house layout, ceiling height etc.

16000 BTUs is a little more than 3 of those portable electric space heaters running on full blast.

I am heating approximately 1400 square feet of my home with a 35,000 btu pellet stove...but the layout is excellent, insulation is above average and I use some small fans to get the convection currents going. Even when the temp gets down to 15 or so this stove does a good job with the space.

Your results may vary

too open a question, depends on the r factor the space is inslulate to 16Kbtu on a constnt output is a signifigant amount of heat , i could see it heating 1200 sq ft , or maybe not even a 1 car garage it all depends on retention.

Thanks alot for the info guys.

Here's another question:

When square feet is calculated for this purpose ( pellet stove heating capacity ), is it normally done as the sum of every room's length's * width's?, or the outside length * width of the house/structure, multplied by the number of floors to be heated?

Thanks again,

FG.

stoveguy2esw said:
too open a question, depends on the r factor the space is inslulate to 16Kbtu on a constnt output is a signifigant amount of heat , i could see it heating 1200 sq ft , or maybe not even a 1 car garage it all depends on retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.