How many stoves have you had?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Minister of Fire
Mar 2, 2007
South Western Wisconsin
I'll try and jog my memory, but I will tell you this, at one time, my wife was afraid to go away, or she would come home and I would have a new wood-burner installed. Didn't want to hear the moaning. I guess it's better to ask for forgiveness than get permission.

My first stove was a Franklin Fireplace in the rec-room. Then I installed one upstairs, with the cast iron grill and a Magic Heat on the chimney. How many remember Magic Heat? I still remember people walking past our house in winter and smelling hamburgers on the grill.

Then I put a cast iron Jotul 118 clone in the basement, to give me some heat so I could play pool in winter. Then I sold the cigar burner, by the way that was a cool stove. I then installed a huge whole house furnace, with squirrel cage, and draft blower. Hooked it up to the furnace, was the only house in the neighborhood with the windows open in winter.

Then we moved to another house with a fireplace.

Now I have a cabin, first stove was an Ashly. Got rid of that stove and put the Morso 3610 in.

So if my math is correct I had seven stoves and I am sure I may try a few more in the future.

Ashley tin can, Buffalo Iron Works cook stove, VC Resolute, Majestic smoke dragon insert, Jotul 602, Quadrafire 1200i, Jotul F3CB, and now Jotul F400.

2---Franklin No. 8 Champion was my first, than the VC Intrepid II.
I still have the Franklin if any body needs a stove...

I'm on 3. The first was a 1996 Englander, then a Hearthstone Bennington, then a Jotul Kennebec that I bought and installed at my dad's house (I consider the Jotul mine since I paid for it, I maintain it, I supply my dad with all his wood. The only thing I don't do is operate it, which is the fun part.)

First a Mama Bear Fisher, burned it for about twenty five years, then a Drolet for a couple of years, too small, would not hold fire over night. Now a Dutchwest "Large" Cat. Just started useing it this fall. I think I'm going to like it. Good steady heat and holds fire overnight.

Grew up with a heatform masonary fireplace. After I left home I burned various stoves in many different homes. Old Montgomery wood/coal barrel stove, Woodsman airtight (with magic heat), Century, Lopi Answer, Energy King large, Regency small, Hearthstone Homestead, Woodstock Fireview. I'm sure I'll have a few more. So many stoves, so little time.

Franklin stove 1977 - 1984

Sierra T-4500 insert 1985 - 2006

Hardware Store Tin Stove 1985 - 1993

Car Wash Detergent 55 Gallon Drum w/VZ kit 1994 - 2004

Jotul F100 Nordic 2005 - ?

Jotul F3 CB 2005 - ?

Englander 30-NCL 2006 - ?

Oh boy, I can't remember them all. Back in the 80's Jay Shelton had his test lab here, my business was right across the street... he'd get stoves in for testing, most of the time they weren't shipped back. I got to buy some for very cheap. I was going through 2 or 3 a year there for a while. The most eye-opening back then was the Jotul 201. If you had any doubts about the efficacy of secondary combustion, that stove settled the argument.

Come to think of it, I did the same the last two years :) And I just finished installing the Nestor Martin X33. Initial impressions are very good. Will report on it in detail as soon as it gets cold enough to see what it really does...

Godin 1989-1992 which came with the house; Efel Symphony which I won in a raffle at a local stove shop (junk-that's why they raffled it off) 1992; Dovre Aurora # 700 1993-present.

Woodstock Fireview. I’m sure I’ll have a few more.
Todd, why would you have more? you have a Fireview.

Three...
Vermont Castings Vigilent (think it was 1981- picked it up 'freshly made' at the factory in randolph VT.)
1998- Olive Oil Barrel- in the barn ( took a long time to let go of that 'aroma'.
2007- Lopi

Been burning the same stove forever, 1982 Hearthmate 5000 (cat). Its a real work horse. Huge firebox and the CAT burns really red hot. Will cry when it finally dies.

Also have a VC Winterwarm acquired when we bought our current house in 2001. Good stove. Burns super. Firebox is too small for good overnight burns. Fan is loud. Burns very clean. Glass stays very clean and the secondary burns are pretty.

Both stoves keep us toastie warm all winter.

Currently on the third that I had much to do with - see my sig...

Also had an early CDW cat stove in the parent's summer place while I was growing up, this was done as an insert after the Heatilator heatform that was in there originally started to rust out.

Gooserider

Only ever had the one in my avatar...don't know what it is, but it's bought and paid for...I just keep cutting old stuff out and welding new stuff in to make it a little more efficient.

VC Vigilant
VC Defiant

All Nighter Mid Moe

Jamestown Papa Bear

Federal Convection Heater 2264CCL

Homemade Corie I

Esse Turnberry

Englander 30NC

Englander 13NC

2002 Vermont Castings Intrepid II
2004 Hearthstone I
2004 Jotul F400 Castine
2006 Quadrafire Isle Royale

That is all. Future:

2008 PE Alderlea T6 (?)

I have to 'convince' my wife that that stove is 'better.'

carpniels

In order of their appearance, starting in 1983:

Russo wood stove
Forced Air Furnace (wood, forget the brand)
Franklin "stove" (don't ask)
Marathon Logwood 24 (combo wood/oil boiler)
Royall 6150 (wood boiler)
Orlan EKO 60 (wood gasification boiler)

jpl1nh said:
Woodstock Fireview. I’m sure I’ll have a few more.
Todd, why would you have more? you have a Fireview.

Because I'm a woodstove junky. I was told that Woodstock is working on a new model. Once it's available I will buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.