How many therms per month/year for whole house heating w/ NG?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjstev01

Jun 25, 2008
South Shore, MA
Trying to get a feel for other users of NG for whole house heating. Say 2500 sq ft house, new NG furnace w/ 86% effeciancy etc...There are plenty of you out there that use NG for both space and hot water heating. What is your average NG therm usage per month or year or heating season?

1600 sq ft 90yo colonial in Upstate NY.

We use a woodstove in the part of the house that we spend our time in, so the furnace doesn't use as much fuel as it would normally. In the summer, we use ~10ccf of NG a month. This is for heating water. Last winter, around march, usage popped just over 100. I was tired of winter and all the snow we got. I was lazy and tired of feeding the fire. Other than that, the usage was about 80ccf/mo.

Matt

I am in upstate ny and use about 200-300 therms per month in winter with a new furnace and windy house of 1500 sq.ft. i turn it down to 60 during the day and 70 at night when we are home. Summer I am using 22-25 therms a month for water heating with a shot 40 gallon water heater with 150 degree water. In the old house we used 50 therms more a month due to an old old old gravity boiler that if you turned it down it would take all night to heat up and had a 90 gallon hot water tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.