How many times a day do you fill your stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RegencyNS

Feb 13, 2008
Atlantic Canada
I burn 24 hrs a day in a Regency 2400M wood stove. My wood is very dry. I fill the stove, leave draft open until its charred and close the air almost all the way- sometimes all the way. After burning for the last year, I pretty much have a schedule. I fill the stove at 6:00am in the morning, 12:00PM, 5:00PM and 11:00PM for the night. So thats 4 full loads a day and that keeps my whole house nice an warm. Does that seem like alot? How many times a day do you fill?

Sounds reasonable. I heat a large home with 1/16th cord per day during the coldest winter months.

TS

With my old stove I am virtually on the same schedule when I am home. The only difference is my 5pm load isn't quite a full load and I do another 1/2 load at 8pm. This builds up a really good coal bed for me to fully load the stove up for night around 10 - 10:30 ish.

pen

2 or 3 times per day depending on the weather. Heating 1800 sq ft.

Our winter has been pretty mild so 3 times a day has been sufficient. Today I only loaded it once and when that burned down - I just put on a couple of splits then I let it burn all the way down --temps in the 50's here today and tomorrow it's supposed to reach 60* - a 'one fire day' to take the morning chill off.

as often as need be..

shawnmd said:
I burn 24 hrs a day in a Regency 2400M wood stove. My wood is very dry. I fill the stove, leave draft open until its charred and close the air almost all the way- sometimes all the way. After burning for the last year, I pretty much have a schedule. I fill the stove at 6:00am in the morning, 12:00PM, 5:00PM and 11:00PM for the night. So thats 4 full loads a day and that keeps my whole house nice an warm. Does that seem like alot? How many times a day do you fill?

Just curious as to how many splits of wood equals a full load?
I know in my case, I have a really small insert, I seem to load it up every 2 to 3 hours, however due to its small size I can only get 2 or 3 smaller size splits in it when i have a good coal bed going, on initial start up when ash's are removed i can maybe get 4 splits in it. Seems like I am alway's reloading it

hm I usually end up going up/down stairs bout 45 times per day. It's great exercise for my beat up knees. ugh. Maybe only a split here n there if I'm around all day, or a few splits at a shot if I'm off to work.

shawnmd said:

that sounds pretty good, I curious Do you still have flames in the stove when you load it up or just coals?

4-5 times a day. 5 when it is cold like yesterday and today. Still learning though. Was able to keep the house at 70-72* when it was 20* outside with just a couple of splits on a hot bed of coals today.

Starting in the morning with good coals... 7am Kindling and then 2-3 small splits until 7:20 then stuff it full +- 7 splits. Home from work at 5:15pm, good coals rake them forward, add kindling, 4 decent sized (decent for me) splits until 10-10:45 then break up and rake forward the log shaped coals with the stove @ +-400*. Stuff Full as possible usually 8 or so splits (4 big, 4 3"thin on top) until morning. Repeat. We've got mild weather here so I'm just trying to keep the house warm and the central heat off. Works for me. If it's really cold then I may try to sneak home at lunch to pack it again. This is during the weekday, weekends when I'm there I like a good hot stove all the time so its loading every 4 hours or so just because I'm ADHD.

I load at 6 am and pm. My wife will have to add mid day if it is cold. Cold = anything below -20. I am burning seasoned birch in a Blaze king classic King size and heating 2500 sq ft.

Usually 4 loads a day, reloading when there are a couple of shovels full of coals left. I reload with at least three large or four medium rounds or splits.

Usually just 2 times a day once in the morning and once a couple hours before I go to bed. When it gets real cold out -5 or less, I will usually add a couple splits when I get home from work.

Fill up at 5:30 a.m.
1/2 load at 2 p.m.
1/2 load at 6 p.m.
Fill up at 10:00 p.m.
repeat

I'm burning exactly one small wheelbarrow full each day. Keeps the large living room where the stove is around 72-78 degrees, and fully heats a 2200 square foot house.

How many times per day is totally dependent upon the weather and how much I put in each time. The only time the stove is filled completely is at night or if we have to be away from home all day long. Otherwise, during the daytime we normally put in 3 pieces per time. That can last from 4-8 hours, depending upon the size of the wood we put in and the amount of draft we allow.

You guys need to tell the temps of your climate too. I load 4-5 times when it is 10 degrees or less, when it is 35-40 maybe 3 small loads. If it is 15 below well, keep stuffin her!!!

I think it's more dependent on what your heating as well.
The same stove needs to be filled more often if you heating a 1500sqft home with 8' ceilings, rather than a 2400sqft home with 25' ceilings.
I have to fill my stove fairly often on a high hot coal bed (3-4hours) to keep this home warm on a 15 degree day. I'm the 2400sqft with 25' ceilings.
The high ceilings sure are dramatic and pretty, but they suck for heating.
I'm convinced part of my problem is this home, even though only 12 years old, 'custom built', and the builder lived in it for 10 years is poorly insulated and has some major areas that need addressed. One of which is the giant gap at the apex of my 25' ceilings, the drywall is 1/8"-3/8" short of meeting the glue lam beam up there and I'm convinced I'm losing a lot heat through that thing. The problem is, I'm going to have to rent scaffolding to get up there. One of the issues with 'builders homes' are the builders know all the corners to cut, and since they are the ones living in it, there's no one there to call them on it during construction.
I'm going to have a whole house energy audit done, where they put the blower on your front door and pressurize your home with a special something they squirt in the air and they can see with instruments then where the home is losing heat,and you can then address those areas.
On a 45 degree day I load maybe 3 times, I can let the coal stage burn way down, but on a 15 degree day I need more heat and have to re-load more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.