How many times do you handle your wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I often think of how many times do I just move it.
1. Ground to cart
2. Cart to ground
3. Ground to splitter.
4. Splits to stack number one
5. From stack one into cart
6. Cart to stack 2
7 stack two to wheel barrow
8. Wheel barrow to inside stack
9. Inside stack to burn.

I thought that was terribly in efficient until I read these posts. Thanks guys for the mid-day pick up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Cut tree - stuff in firebox. one time, I win. :p

oh, you bother cutting your trees?

i am in the too many category. mine has been sort of like this.

• Drag wood from either backyard or where it was dumped.
  • pile it inefficiently somewhere in the way
  • move that pile to somewhere less in the way
  • move to where it is in the way to move something else that is in the way
  • split it
  • toss it in a pile that isn't where it should be
  • stack it
  • dismantle stack and throw it in a pile over the fence because the gate is covered with wood that is stacked
  • restack it
  • start stacking another stack in teh way of something
  • *move another stack up the hill, or down the hill (the opposite of where you think it should be)
  • move the splitter close to the stack
  • split the wood and toss the wood directly in the path of where you need to be to walk
  • take wood from totally different stack and put it in the firebox
  • collect wood that dog has stolen and put it back in the stack
  • repeat previous step 30 times
  • go back outside to realize that the stack by the splitter is now in the way of the cars and people that need to walk by
  • toss stack into pile on side
  • wait for snow to come
  • watch pile fall over
  • restack without gloves (wishing you have gloves)
  • watch pile fall over again
  • restack....
  • wonder why you don't just put all wood in 1 place
  • start moving wood to 1 place (see *)

Reactions: ChemicalWaste
I often think of how many times do I just move it.
1. Ground to cart
2. Cart to ground
3. Ground to splitter.
4. Splits to stack number one
5. From stack one into cart
6. Cart to stack 2
7 stack two to wheel barrow
8. Wheel barrow to inside stack
9. Inside stack to burn.

I thought that was terribly in efficient until I read these posts. Thanks guys for the mid-day pick up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And as the saying goes, that's why wood warms you twice. Once when you cut it and once when you burn it. Sometimes more than twice. And darn good exercise too. Beats staring straight ahead bored to tears on a treadmill...

Tree service loads trailer = 0
Dump trailer =0
pickup logs with loader - 0
buck logs at splitter/split = 1
stack in shed = 2
season for a year or two = 0
load into box (1/2 cord ) move with tractor to house = 3
put in plastic totes carry into house =3
load stove = 4

im building metal baskets that will hold 1/2 cords - new conveyor will load baskets and will season in them - then tractor will bring to house - this will eliminate some handling - next year project

Probably way too many times. Buck, throw into truck. Transport home. Remove from truck into round stacks. Pick up round, split said round. Throw splits into pile. Pick up splits from pile into trailer, cart to other side of yard. Remove splits from trailer and stack where they take a nice long map. When they wake up in the winter, I remove from stack, into cart, and transport to basement where they are stacked again until I pick them up and build a fire in the stove.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Best case scenario here:

- cut down and drag in front of the woodshed
-buck and toss out of the way
-onto the splitter
-off the splitter and into drying stacks
-from the drying stack into the basement
-stack it in the basement
-onto the stove

Sometimes there's an extra step there after bucking where I load it into the cart or pickup to transport to my shed because it was cut and split in a staging area about 150 yards from the shed.

If I go out and buck it in the woods, it's less. Off the ground onto the truck, then off the truck, across the splitter, and on to the drying stack.

So, it seems anywhere from 4-6 times.

Probably way too many times. Buck, throw into truck. Transport home. Remove from truck into round stacks. Pick up round, split said round. Throw splits into pile. Pick up splits from pile into trailer, cart to other side of yard. Remove splits from trailer and stack where they take a nice long map. When they wake up in the winter, I remove from stack, into cart, and transport to basement where they are stacked again until I pick them up and build a fire in the stove.
That's the nice thing about wood , It heats you 4 or more times. Once when You load it, once where you unload it, once when you Cary it in, once when you burn it

Reactions: Jay106n
Cut from my own property:
1. cut, tossed in tractor bucket , transport, dumped in pile
2. split, usually to another pile aside the splitter
3. stacked, almost always right next to where I split, otherwise add 1 to move them once more to stack if using a vehicle of some sort
4 + 5 . move to shed by the back door, into, then out of wheelbarrow or cart
6. shed to stove via milk crate ( usually three milk crates a day, extra burning pine )
7. into stove
So, 7 or 8
I rarely stack rounds. I try to split them as soon as possible though. To eliminate a step.

On a rare occasion I can split right where I cut into rounds and eliminate step 1 handling.

For most of the past 40+ years the process was:
* Buck where it falls, occasionally if inaccessible skid to landing, then buck to length.
* from splitter to trailer
* from trailer to stack in woodshed
* from stack to wheelbarrow
* wheelbarrow 15'-20' to boiler
Four times would do it.

New plan this year eliminates one handling of individual sticks:
* from splitter to pallet
* from pallet to wheelbarrow
* wheelbarrow to boiler

Typically I handle each cut about 6 times to get it into the stove. My splitting companion is a Great Pyrenees who is partial to fresh hickory splits or oak splits containing a few fat grubs. So the ones she steals get handled a few more times when I have to go pick them up in the yard when she is done chewing on them.

sometimes i just fondle and hold it while whispering gently to it, specially the oak when im lucky enough to get any. Kinda partial to cuddling with my ash too.

As a professional scrounger:
1). Take a drive down country roads where my permissioned properties are, or spy some abandoned (aging) wood roadside.
2). load truck n' cruise home.
3). split and stack right from the truck. (One big step as I stack while splitting.)
4) load cart to take to the porch/ staging area.
5) use the cart to load the totes in the stoveroom.
6) cook that business and have a warm family, and very hot dogs.

Good Day folks,
been lurking for a while enjoying the forum and this is my first post.
These are the steps I take:
  1. saw down tree and buck it up
  2. throw it in the atv trailer
  3. throw it in the pickup
  4. throw it back into the atv trailer
  5. onto the splitter (if need be, I cut a lot of smaller wood as well)
  6. into the wood shed
  7. from the wood shed to the wood box
  8. into the stove
I built a new wood shed this year, so I can skip step 4 this time around. I will post pictures later.

Don't forget throwing seasoned firewood over newer stacked firewood.

I'm so good I can tell you how many times every person on here handles it..... As many times as it take to keep that furnace off ;lol. All joking aside I have different amounts depending on who or where I get the wood from. I mainly try and focus now more on how to get it done easier for me and my body. So while I split mostly with my x27 I have a splitter a wagon as well as a little cub cadet 128 I just picked up with a loader. Also things I've found make my life easier seasoning racks outside with tin over them as single row top covered works best for me. On that note when it snows or rains having a wood shed makes it nice to just run grab wood without dealing with the elements. Did I mention I hate to be cold and the heat pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.