1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How many times have you done the leaf blower cleaning this season?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by save$, Jan 3, 2013.

1. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    New Year's Day, the fire was getting sloppy, ash was building in the pot on day 2 following inside only cleaning. Time to get out the leaf blower and vac. out the flu. Out comes the dreded black smoke monster. About 5 min. On on and off, then done. Restarted fire. Fire now spitting up like a snake's tongue. Just in time for this cold snap. This is the second time for using the leaf blower this year. Stove runs like new again! This is day 2, still no build up of ash in the burn pot. I continue to vac the inside of the stove on day 3 just because that is my routein.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Danny Cathcart

Danny Cathcart Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Once so far. Will do again at the end of this month. I reckon if I take care of my stove, it'll take care of me by keeping my butt warm :)
  3. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    Once. I'll do it again at the end of the heating season.
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Twice so far first time at 25 bags and then again at 75 bags at 50 bags I just dropped the two side baffles and used the vacuum.
  5. imacman

imacman Guest

None....my set-up doesn't allow for it. I use the LintEater w/ vac from inside the house through the clean out-T for the pipe only.
  6. Xena

Xena Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Shore MA
    Same as iMacman cept I use loveless ash vac in thru the cleanout T. Going into 8th yr doing this and have never had a plugged up stove. :)
  7. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    twice, just did it new years day. I usually do once a month
  8. Bioburner

Bioburner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West central Mn
    Planning on doing a complete cleaning Sunday as temps are coming back up and the ash pan is going to be full. 2nd time to use the blower this season. Will be end of second ton of pellets end of next week.
  9. mepellet

mepellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central ME
    Technically, none. I use the linteater with shop vac adapter. I attack the venting from the outside and take the filter out of the shop vac. Creates a good cloud. :D
  10. ekarlis

ekarlis Member

Loc:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Hey Guys, Have a stupid question. When you do the leaf blower trick, do you leave the slide gate open or
    closed? Could you possibly damage the vacuum switch??? My buddy is saying to close the slide gate,
    I say leave it open. Who's right??
    Thanks
    Ed
  11. chrisasst

chrisasst Minister of Fire

Loc:
    cortland ny
    Most people will say to unhook the vac line.
  12. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Disconnect the vac tube. Very easy to do on my stove. I don't know what you mean by side gates?
    I run the door open and close during the vac.process. Also tap you exhaust with the handle of a wooden screwdriver during the vac . I put a remote controls the plug so I can turn the leaf vac on and off while I am inside with the stove.
  13. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    If you don't know what the vacuum switch can stand on your stove open the door or remove one end of the hose.

But for most stoves that leaf blower isn't going to be able to hurt the switch at all.
  14. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

None yet. I just cleaned the Quad after about a ton..

Just a "lil" ash build up :)

(Click to enlarge)

2013-01-02_20-10-11_678.jpg 2013-01-02_20-33-11_708.jpg
    mepellet and Brokenwing like this.
  15. 343amc

343amc Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Once on December 19. Only 20 or so bags into it at that time but it was nice out that day.
  16. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    0. never done it. don't have a leaf 'vac'.... i just have a backpack blower and can't justify the added cost just for the stove. i'm doing the dryer vent trick next ton.
  17. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    Once a ton, going to do it this weekend, 3rd time this season.
  18. kenstogie

kenstogie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Did it once but will do it again soon (on the next warm day, no hurry though) I don't think I need it but will do it to see how much "stuff" comes out. My idea is to brush it through the clean out T then do the LBT.
  19. SXIPro

SXIPro Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern MA
    None. I just send one of my neighbors cats up the pipe.
    stikit2bigoyl and heat seeker like this.
  20. Tim M.

Tim M. New Member

Loc:
    Douglas, MA
    So here's a question for you folks, I'm pretty new so dont laugh. I have a leaf blower but blower only so no vacuum option although there is a nice new black and decker 240MPH electric blower / vac on ebay right now with free shipping for $44 that I might snag for this. Anyway back to the original question .... if I was to use my gas powered backpack blower could I blow it out from the inside of the house, take the stove away from the exhaust pipe, stuff the blower in the exhaust pipe from the inside blowing out and let er rip???? Anyone ever done this, I've seent he leaf blower videos on youtube but everyone is sucking from the outside and nobody is blowing from the inside out.

Thanks.
  21. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    I wouldn't do it. Besides, if you use suction from outside, you'll draw ash from inside the stove, too, which is even more important to clean than the venting (although both are important!).
  22. chuckster

chuckster Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Sussex County NJ
    Once so far. Cleaned the stove thoroughly first then ran the brush thru. Did the leaf blower and hardly anything came out. Will do one more time at end of season.
  23. Tim Linden

Tim Linden Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    LOL Tim I was thinking that's what everyone was doing. - Tim
  24. frogman

frogman New Member

Lets see i will do mine about every 2-3 weeks yes i know it does not need to be done that many times but it makes me feel better and i know there is no ash build up in the pipe. i use a shop vac inside on the clean-out T shove it up there after a lint brush and seal it with a old pellet bag and let it rip. it only take a few minutes to do so in the end i have clean everything.
  25. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Never, ever run a gasoline powered device inside the living areas of a house.

If you want to use that unit on the stove there have been folks who have done it from the outside via their OAK, one caution on doing it that way. Make absolutely certain that the stove door to the fire box is closed and latched.

I can't speak to how well doing it that way works.

Here is the way it normally is done:

save$ likes this.