How many times have you done the leaf blower cleaning this season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

save$

Minister of Fire
Sep 22, 2008
Chelsea Maine
New Year's Day, the fire was getting sloppy, ash was building in the pot on day 2 following inside only cleaning. Time to get out the leaf blower and vac. out the flu. Out comes the dreded black smoke monster. About 5 min. On on and off, then done. Restarted fire. Fire now spitting up like a snake's tongue. Just in time for this cold snap. This is the second time for using the leaf blower this year. Stove runs like new again! This is day 2, still no build up of ash in the burn pot. I continue to vac the inside of the stove on day 3 just because that is my routein.

Once so far. Will do again at the end of this month. I reckon if I take care of my stove, it'll take care of me by keeping my butt warm :)

Once. I'll do it again at the end of the heating season.

Twice so far first time at 25 bags and then again at 75 bags at 50 bags I just dropped the two side baffles and used the vacuum.

None....my set-up doesn't allow for it. I use the LintEater w/ vac from inside the house through the clean out-T for the pipe only.

Same as iMacman cept I use loveless ash vac in thru the cleanout T. Going into 8th yr doing this and have never had a plugged up stove. :)

twice, just did it new years day. I usually do once a month

Planning on doing a complete cleaning Sunday as temps are coming back up and the ash pan is going to be full. 2nd time to use the blower this season. Will be end of second ton of pellets end of next week.

Hey Guys, Have a stupid question. When you do the leaf blower trick, do you leave the slide gate open or
closed? Could you possibly damage the vacuum switch??? My buddy is saying to close the slide gate,
I say leave it open. Who's right??
Thanks
Ed

Hey Guys, Have a stupid question. When you do the leaf blower trick, do you leave the slide gate open or
closed? Could you possibly damage the vacuum switch??? My buddy is saying to close the slide gate,
I say leave it open. Who's right??
Thanks
Ed

Most people will say to unhook the vac line.

Disconnect the vac tube. Very easy to do on my stove. I don't know what you mean by side gates?
I run the door open and close during the vac.process. Also tap you exhaust with the handle of a wooden screwdriver during the vac . I put a remote controls the plug so I can turn the leaf vac on and off while I am inside with the stove.

If you don't know what the vacuum switch can stand on your stove open the door or remove one end of the hose.

But for most stoves that leaf blower isn't going to be able to hurt the switch at all.

None yet. I just cleaned the Quad after about a ton..

Just a "lil" ash build up :)

(Click to enlarge)

2013-01-02_20-10-11_678.jpg 2013-01-02_20-33-11_708.jpg

Once on December 19. Only 20 or so bags into it at that time but it was nice out that day.

0. never done it. don't have a leaf 'vac'.... i just have a backpack blower and can't justify the added cost just for the stove. i'm doing the dryer vent trick next ton.

Once a ton, going to do it this weekend, 3rd time this season.

Did it once but will do it again soon (on the next warm day, no hurry though) I don't think I need it but will do it to see how much "stuff" comes out. My idea is to brush it through the clean out T then do the LBT.

So here's a question for you folks, I'm pretty new so dont laugh. I have a leaf blower but blower only so no vacuum option although there is a nice new black and decker 240MPH electric blower / vac on ebay right now with free shipping for $44 that I might snag for this. Anyway back to the original question .... if I was to use my gas powered backpack blower could I blow it out from the inside of the house, take the stove away from the exhaust pipe, stuff the blower in the exhaust pipe from the inside blowing out and let er rip???? Anyone ever done this, I've seent he leaf blower videos on youtube but everyone is sucking from the outside and nobody is blowing from the inside out.

Thanks.

I wouldn't do it. Besides, if you use suction from outside, you'll draw ash from inside the stove, too, which is even more important to clean than the venting (although both are important!).

Once so far. Cleaned the stove thoroughly first then ran the brush thru. Did the leaf blower and hardly anything came out. Will do one more time at end of season.

LOL Tim I was thinking that's what everyone was doing. - Tim

Lets see i will do mine about every 2-3 weeks yes i know it does not need to be done that many times but it makes me feel better and i know there is no ash build up in the pipe. i use a shop vac inside on the clean-out T shove it up there after a lint brush and seal it with a old pellet bag and let it rip. it only take a few minutes to do so in the end i have clean everything.

So here's a question for you folks, I'm pretty new so dont laugh. I have a leaf blower but blower only so no vacuum option although there is a nice new black and decker 240MPH electric blower / vac on ebay right now with free shipping for $44 that I might snag for this. Anyway back to the original question .... if I was to use my gas powered backpack blower could I blow it out from the inside of the house, take the stove away from the exhaust pipe, stuff the blower in the exhaust pipe from the inside blowing out and let er rip???? Anyone ever done this, I've seent he leaf blower videos on youtube but everyone is sucking from the outside and nobody is blowing from the inside out.

Thanks.

Never, ever run a gasoline powered device inside the living areas of a house.

If you want to use that unit on the stove there have been folks who have done it from the outside via their OAK, one caution on doing it that way. Make absolutely certain that the stove door to the fire box is closed and latched.

I can't speak to how well doing it that way works.

Here is the way it normally is done:

Reactions: save$
Status
Not open for further replies.