how many tons answered

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Feb 22, 2010
maine
Seems pretty close. The year before I installed my pellet stove we used 511 gallons of Fuel oil for the year. We only use Fuel Oil for heat. Last year and this year we will be using right around 4 tons of pellets, maybe a little more. So, not to far off for me. I'm sure for others it may be high or low, but I think as a jumping off point, its pretty good.

I used about 800 gallons of oil a year for the last few years . This year I've burned a little over 3 tons . Of course I still heat the hot water with oil and with four kids I still use a fair amount of oil . seems a little high though. We'll see when I get through my first year.

harman accetra 8/09 install

This year, after 2 full years of burning just pellets, I set my oil furnace at 62 when i went to bed & ran it for 15-20 minutes when i got up while i started up the pellet stove. What a difference in savings. I have 3 ton left . Amazing !! Muss

you should try running the stove 24/7. There's nothing like coming down stairs in the morning and seeing that thing cranking away. nice and toasty. sounds wierd but it's true. I notice my kids come in from outside or when they get up in the a.m. the first thing they do is stand in front of the insert and take in the heat . It's like a magnet.

harman accentra insert 8/09

Im finding it pretty much a tradeoff with oil at $2.54
I`ve got a good oil heating system but I like the pellet stove for many reasons.

I heat with propane and it is a little under 4.00 a gallon now so pellets would have to be about 680 a ton to be more to use than propane I would say I am better off using the pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.