1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How many Tons Do I Need to Heat My House

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by teddy1971, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. houset

houset Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania

Interesting:
    So 9 ton would be the equivalent to my 1000 gallons. With that, Pellets are about 2100 vs. 3500 of Oil (assuming 3.50/g) That pays for my stove in year 1. In all honesty, every situation is different. For example, i installed new Low-e windows throughout my first floor, i insulated 2 rooms, and i suspended the ceiling. And I most certainly will be eliminating drafts before the winter. The one good thing that came out of the sudden spike in crude is now i have an alternative fuel, along with a much more energy efficient home.

Now all i need to work on is to combat the 43% rise in Electricity costs come this November.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kklockars@cox.net

kklockars@cox.net New Member

Loc:
    Northern RI
    Just remember that you still take a reasonable amount out of the equation for heating hot water and maintaining boiler temp. if you burn 800 from say sept thru may you are probably using 100-150 gal for other than heat uses that won't need to be figured into pellet usage. 650gal / 125 gal per ton 5.2 ton. I know everyones numbers will vary (throw in a teenager)
  3. teddy1971

teddy1971 Member

Loc:
    Orange County NY
    I completely forgot about the hot water. The "Oil Man" Usually tops off my oil tank in April and does not come back until End of october. During this time I utilize @ 150 gallons of oil for hot water. So you are correct that I can take off 150 gallons of oil from my total of 800 gallons. This leaves me with 650 gallons used for heating. I'm going to go out on a limb here and knock off another 100 gallons that is used to heat 800 sqft of my house. As I explained above I use 800 gallons to heat 3300 sqft (3 zones - 1 zone per floor). I will only be using the pellet stove to heat the top two floors (2500 sqft). The remaining square footage (the basement) will be heated via a space heater (built in thermostat to save on electric). So my thought process is that I can conservatively take off 100 gallons of oil just for the savings on heating the basement. This leaves me with @ 550 gallons of oil used to heat the the two floors of my house in the winter. If I use the formula of 120 gallons per ton I will need 5 tons to heat my house for the winter. I can actually purchase this towards the end of winter since my local hardware store always has pellets in stock (@250 per ton) and offers free delivery to town residents. Does this sound right to you guys?
  4. BadDad320

BadDad320 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NW New Jersey
    Interesting thread.. Point taken, remember that all the oil you use is not just for heat. I knew that but never made it part of the pellet usage estimate. We'll all be a lot smarter after winter is over.
  5. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    Ahh, well that's a different story then. :)

It looks 4 tons might be pretty close since the math suggests you'll need about 4.5 tons to replace 550 gal of heating oil.
  6. teddy1971

teddy1971 Member

Loc:
    Orange County NY
    Thanks again guys for all your help regarding the amount of pellets I'll need.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.