How many tons of pellets do I need?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jims

Sep 19, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Hi,

I live in Portland Oregon and recently installed a new pellet stove. I was wondering if anyone in the Portland area can provide me with their usage so I have some idea how many tons I should stock up on? Portland's weather is relatively mild, so I don't expect to need the stove 24/7 all fall/winter, but even if I do I have no idea whether a low setting will be sufficient or others experience indicates I will need to crank the stove up to stay warm.

My stoves specs are: low = 1.7lb's/hr, 14,000 BTU/hr,
med = 2.6lb's/hr, 22,000 BTU/hr,
high = 4.5lb's/hr, 38,000 BTU/hr,

I will be heating approx. 1500 square feet and I hope to use the stove as my only heat source.

Also I have purchase Blazer pellets from HomeDepot ($3.99 per bag). Any one have any experience with these pellets? Good/bad? Little ash/lots of ash? Low BTU's/high BTU's?

A neighbor recommended Golden Fire pellets, which Parr lumber current has, but they are $4.50 per bag (or $215 per ton). So they cost significantly more then the Blazer pellets at HomeDepot.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jim

Start out with 2 tons.
When you get down to 15 bags start checking around for more.

i live is kalama, just a few miles north and I used just shy of 2 tons last year. Pellets are out only source of heat and we heat about 1500sqft. our house is old with little insulation and old windows. if you would like more info on good places to buy pellets PM me and I can give a pretty good list. Depending on the stove the blazers will work fine. I did not care for them. I really like the Bear Mountain pellets, I also use Burnmaster which are cheaper and seem to give off a little more ash, but you can get them directory from the distributor in Vancouver, Wa.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.