how many tons of pellets will i burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjc1800

Jan 10, 2011
Lithonia Ga
this will be my 1st year running my p68, my local dealer says that i only should burn through 2.5-3 tons to heat my 2300 sqft home. im planning to use the stove for my sole source of heat. what do you guys think? i would like my home to be between 68-69 degrees. i live in maryland, in the baltimore area. our winters usually arent too harsh.

A lot will depend on how tight the house is, But I think his estimate is a little low. Especially if you plan on it being the sole source of heat. I'll bet it will be a bit closer to 4/4.5 tons.

Do you have the amount of fuel used for the previous season? Might be able to get close comparing BTU to BTU or a fuel calculator.

OK, I'll take a guess....I think you'll need 3.5-4 tons. If the winter turns out to be colder than normal, maybe another .5 ton.

imacman said:
OK, I'll take a guess....I think you'll need 3.5-4 tons. If the winter turns out to be colder than normal, maybe another .5 ton.

Yep.. 4 Ton is a good average for sole source. 2,180 sq ft ranch here and use + or - 4 ton.

jjc1800 said:
this will be my 1st year running my p68, my local dealer says that i only should burn through 2.5-3 tons to heat my 2300 sqft home. im planning to use the stove for my sole source of heat. what do you guys think? i would like my home to be between 68-69 degrees. i live in maryland, in the baltimore area. our winters usually arent too harsh.

I live in Southern Maryland and I used 4 tons, heating a 2400 SF house.

Of course all we can do is guess, but it's better to have a little more on hand than to run out early. If you can get a good price on pellets that work well in your stove, get them now. In most cases it will be cheaper than trying to get them in Feb if you find that you need them.

You can always use the overage next year !!

I ALREADY HAVE 3 TONS , SO I WILL RUN THROUGH THAT AND IF I NEED TO GET ANOTHER TON OR SO I WILL. SO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT 1.5 TO 2 BAGS A DAY?

Better to get them now as spring prices are sometimes higher and often places(like box stores) don't always carry pellets after April. Sitting on a safe stash now is always more comforting for me anyway.

Oh and once you get addicted to pellet heat some how the indoor temps always rise during the season. Something like 72ºF???? hehe! :)

I am new to pellet burning too. I bought my Harman P43 in February of 2011. I also bought six tons of pellets that other users of the same stove recommended. I only burned 67 bags from February 11 to June 3. So I am real curious what I will use for a full season. I run the stove in room temp mode at 74 degrees, (I like wearing shorts in winter). My house is about 1200 square feet and about 40 percent insulated.

roadrunnermoore said:
jjc1800 said:

I live in Southern Maryland and I used 4 tons, heating a 2400 SF house.

Same area, same size house.. I used about 4 last year. Bought 6 this year. I'm cutting SMECO off...

j-takeman said:
Better to get them now as spring prices are sometimes higher and often places(like box stores) don't always carry pellets after April. Sitting on a safe stash now is always more comforting for me anyway.....

I agree 100%....buy now & store them.

j-takeman said:
Oh and once you get addicted to pellet heat some how the indoor temps always rise during the season. Something like 72ºF???? hehe! :)

Aint THAT the truth!! My home is now about 8-10 deg higher than when I used oil as my only source. Warm and Toasty now in the dead of winter and only 1 tank of HHO for hot water and a little help in the coldest snaps.

i burnt 3 ton last year starting in jan this year i bought 4 ton i think i should be ok with the ammount if i need any i will only need a few bags and i there is no more room to store more

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:

Aint THAT the truth!! My home is now about 8-10 deg higher than when I used oil as my only source. Warm and Toasty now in the dead of winter and only 1 tank of HHO for hot water and a little help in the coldest snaps.

Must be part of the pellet addiction. Once you start craving pellets the heat/stat seems to rise????

j-takeman said:
Must be part of the pellet addiction. Once you start craving pellets the heat/stat seems to rise????

How true. Now if any of us start kneeling and bowing down in front of the pellet stash, then we may have some issues. Otherwise, I can deal with this addiction!!

If you keep the windows closed you will use fewer pellets....IMHO!

gbreda said:
j-takeman said:

How true. Now if any of us start kneeling and bowing down in front of the pellet stash, then we may have some issues. Otherwise, I can deal with this addiction!!

I guess I have some issues then?? :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.