How many wood piles do you have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
This idea just sort of struck me. Some folks have just one place to stack wood and I can certainly understand that especially with those only owning a lot or maybe part of an acre. Most of the time I stack one year's wood in one place and then the following year another spot. Just this afternoon I was on the atv in back and decided that next winter I will stack wood in one spot that I've never used. It is good as it will have good sun and lots of wind. Anyway, we have several wood stacks here. Right now I can think of about a dozen here.

I have 3 right now including my Woodshed(4 cord), next years FenceRow pile(5 cord) and this fall/shoulder season pile(2 cord).

One primary place for serious drying and one closer to the house when winter arrives. I may be branching out next year.

fv

Screw all you guys! I have 2 places one with about 7-8 cords and another with about 3.5 ... The new spot with 3.5 is closer to my house and I saw a mouse in my yard by the new space... So that place will be a 1year wonder ... No need to bring mice closer to the house!
So jealous of you guys with LAND!

About three different spots right now. I have a spot near the house with 5-6 cords which is wood for this year a spot near the west property line with a cord or two(shoulder season wood) and near the back of my property I have 5 cords but usually have 7 there. I have another spot in mind for oak that will give it full sun and wind pretty much full time.

3 piles, one down in back full sun & wind for the oak. About 2 cord only right now, but will hold 20. One fairly close to the house with 5.5 cord of seasoned maple, oak &, cherry. This one is for Oct. till Cold weather, Then 7 cord of seasoned oak & ash for the "winter'
right on the edge of the parking lot so I can plow next to it, & haul wood right in the overhead doors. Sad thing is, I'll burn most of those 12 cord keeping the work area warm for the winter. Oh well, better than paying for the propane. A C

4 but they are all within 75 feet of each other and the stove for that matter.

Nine, in a kind of horseshoe around the end of the drive, which is where cutting/splitting happens.

1 cord in 3 piles facing S under tarps/shed roof, ready to go; another cord ready nearby facing W under tarps.
1/4 cord fairly good stuff out in the sun, sitting on ledge- some of the first fall fuel.

Remaining piles for next year- whenever. No rush.

Recent history: 1.5 cord/year of 8" long splits. They start circulating through indoors stacks in Oct/Nov for their
final drying near the stove. MC near 0% a definite +. Mid-winter humidification of house also a definite +.

When I want just a little heating, often an Aladdin lamp is plenty. No rush.

So far, Just one spot. But many stacks and a shed. I just started in April. So I have to get a little credit. 2 cord of that wood is just over 2 years old, got in a trade. A little over 5 Cord thats C/S/S total. Just went and got a Whole trailer load of Silver Maple Rounds yesterday (Around 1.4 cord) so add that to the total here in another day when its C/S/S

Last pic is of the pile of the 2 cord at the guys house, not mine. About a 1/4 of it was Cherry. Plus another small load of cherry I got from another buddy.

Attachments

• Wood Stacks...#1.jpg
    Wood Stacks...#1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 728
  • Stacks #3.jpg
    Stacks #3.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 729
  • Seasoned Wood.jpg
    Seasoned Wood.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 750
  • Cherry.jpg
    Cherry.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 734
Dennis i got 3 main stacking area's. My house, my parents and my MIL's. All within a 7 mile radius :lol: I prefer my MIL's because she has fifty acres and i can scatter my crap all over lol

Small in town lot, but I do segregate in different stacks for better drying and date them. Here is part of last winters work stacked. Picture isn't to good as it was a dreary day.

Attachments

• 2011 wood done edit.jpg
    2011 wood done edit.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 742
Two spots, 296' in total length 5' tall!! Hoping I'm good for three years now. Will start working more up when it cools down!

I have a small 1/3 acre lot and I have about 5 1/2 cords stacked here. I have a fairly new job, and the company has a shop and like two acres of unused land. My boss already dropped like 1/4 cord of wood there for me. I'm thinking this may turn into a little spot to keep some extra wood. That would be awesome. I, too, am really jealous of you guys with acreage. Hell- I'm jealous of my sister who bought my parents house and has 1/2 acre.

I have a small lot so I built a wood shed off the garage to hold 6 cords or enough for 2 years then have one spot for a processing that I move into the shed as needed.

Attachments

• 100_1463-1.jpg
    100_1463-1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 687
  • 100_1465.jpg
    100_1465.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 700
One side of woodshed has about 5 cord. The other has about 2. Then outside I have a stack of a cord and a half, another of 2, and another of 6. Then I have a pile of rounds that's about 6 cord.

3 places.

The oak goes in the spot with the most sun and wind
Locust and hickory goes in the spot with a little shade
Ash goes in my crappiest spot with lots of shade

level land with access to wind and sun is at a premium in my hood :-S

Well heres my pile of radiant heat...

Attachments

• beech-and-hickory-for-web.jpg
    beech-and-hickory-for-web.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 633
  • hickory-oak-sycamore-for-web.jpg
    hickory-oak-sycamore-for-web.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 608
  • red-oak-and-sycamore-for-web.jpg
    red-oak-and-sycamore-for-web.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 606
  • wood-pile-for-web.jpg
    wood-pile-for-web.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 634
  • Cotton-wood-tree-2011.jpg
    Cotton-wood-tree-2011.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 387
I was kinda thinking about you "in town" guys the other day when I was clearing up some debris from splitting and getting another 3 pallets ready for the next stacks. Your yard/land area certainly will give you limited areas in which to split/stack...not to mention what the Mrs/neighbors have to say.
I consider us very lucky with a lot of land we can use. Right now I'm using the back of a small pasture that has about a dozen various sized stacked pallets. I doubt I'll need any more space than this since once filled to capacity we should have 5+ years worth drying there. It's a short walk from the house and splitting back there can be done at anytime without waking the Mrs(who works 3rd shift).

I have a couple piles, 10 cords stacked. Oh a few logs, and enough still standing for for fall, winter and spring cutting. :cheese:

I have five holz hausen (round stacks) each holding around two cords, plus a round pad of rocks from the garden where a sixth used to be, and several small stacks of wood waiting to become the new sixth holz hausen, but I am not counting the small stacks as real wood stacks because they are temporary. A couple of the holz hausen are currently in a somewhat collapsed state, so I am restacking them before I start the new #6. I also have dibs on a couple of dead or dying Red Maple at a friend's house to get my most of the way through #6 and mayb e start #7, except I don't really want a stack of all Red Maple. I prefer to mix wood in the stacks so I get a mix of wood when I burn.

I have a couple of acres and no concerns about space constraints, how things look, or neighbors complaining (although I think the holz hausen look nice and nobody would complain even if they could see them). All of the stacks are close to each other, so there is only one stacking area.

ohio woodburner said:
Dennis i got 3 main stacking area's. My house, my parents and my MIL's. All within a 7 mile radius :lol: I prefer my MIL's because she has fifty acres and i can scatter my crap all over lol

Does she do any good cooking or baking? Maybe some good cookies for when you work there?

I have two areas. A covered side on a shed that is holding, right now, about 3/4 of a cord (mixed oak, doug-fir, inscense-cedar, ponderosa pine) and on the lower part of my 1/4 acre or so, I have 4 rows of mostly ca black oak (tiny bit of inscense-cedar and pacific madrone), amounting to about 3 and 1/4 cords. I have 5 more tickets from the USFS for my permit (2 cord permit), so I have more cutting do to before November, but I have wood for this year ready and next year too maybe.

I have stacks all over sort of hodge podgy. Only one who can see them is me and I have to be standing behind my garage.
I even have two piles (about 1/5th or so cord each) of maple down at the foot of a rather steep incline that as of right now I'd have to carry up a few splits at a time. I winched some of the maple up as whole logs, but that was a lot of work and they got full of sand and gravel in the process) I'm building a road wide enough for a 4 wheeler , but it's tough going in this New England boulder gravel. There's a bunch of pine there too but it isn't stacked and split as nicely as the maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.