How many wood piles do you have?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 right now. big one next to the garden will hold 5+ cord. and a small area for 1 cord close to the house under cover.

About 10 p/u loads in several stacks here in backyard, 9 more loads in shed + another 2 loads (so far) stacked between 3 big white oaks & 1 shagbark hickory at parents acreage,another 5 loads cut & scattered on the steep hillside there.Once it cools off a bit will split & haul the rest up.Also have at least 5 more big snags to drop in a couple areas,they will probably wait a couple months.More to cut on south hills & near border fence,if I can ever get over there.

I have somewhere around 7 distinct 'pallet groups' of various sizes. I try not to leave anything in plies, with the exception of freshly split wood. In that case, a pile does grow for a while until I get around to stacking it.

I just started bringing in this year's wood recently. So far, there's a neat series of stacks of rounds, all touching, in a sort of 'wood cube' of about 1.5 cords. I've learned not to just toss the rounds in piles- it gets messy in a hurry if I do that.

Too busy lately bringing in more new wood, so I'll have to inventory later to get an idea of how many cords are laying around. If I had to guess right now, maybe 5-7 cords on site, with about 1.5 cords needing splitting. With my newly acquired Cherry, soft Maple, and Locust, I now am certain I'll have sufficient seasoned wood for this coming winter. I used a lot more wood last winter than expected (didn't we all). ;-)

Backwoods Savage said:
ohio woodburner said:
Dennis i got 3 main stacking area's. My house, my parents and my MIL's. All within a 7 mile radius :lol: I prefer my MIL's because she has fifty acres and i can scatter my crap all over lol

Does she do any good cooking or baking?

NO and she taught her daughter everything she knows, Dennis :lol:

Really though Dennis she lets me cut and stack there so i try to take care of anything she needs done

I have 3 places close to the house (about 20 cords). I have one sunny spot in the woods that must have been a small farm field back in the day. I cleared it with the Bobcat and if I get anymore I may stack some there. I also have a spot at the lakehouse for campfires. I prefer to keep it close to the house where I can admire it and haul it easy in the winter.

About 9 cords on 1/4 acre. Two stacks along one of the 100' property lines. One is about 40' long x 4' deep x +/-5' tall. The other is 27' long by same height and depth.

I only have a small area, hope to be able to put 12 cords, we'll see if I can pull it off

IMG_1515.jpg

Backwoods Savage said:

Usually 1 (this year), and sometimes two (next year) depending on how much wood I have. See, here in God's country we were not cursed with all kinds of fancy, mega-BTU, 4-years-to-dry "hardwoods" so we don't typically need to cut 2+ years out.

In MD (1/6 acre lot) I have: 1 on the south side (fastest seasoning, red oak), 1 on the north side, 1 under the deck (with improvised "roof" above), 1 under screen porch (my main stack, next to the basement door), 1 along the fence, and 1 along the rear retaining wall. I think it's around 8-9 cords total. There's also a pile of red oak quarters behind the neighbors that I need to go back for sometime.

In MI (4.5 acres): new woodshed which is mostly empty (working on that), 1 stack around two sides of the garage, 1 stack under the screen porch, and a group of pallet stacks along the edge of the woods. Something like 10 cords.

Bigg_Redd said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Usually 1 (this year), and sometimes two (next year) depending on how much wood I have. See, here in God's country we were not cursed with all kinds of fancy, mega-BTU, 4-years-to-dry "hardwoods" so we don't typically need to cut 2+ years out.

We'll see. Last year I was burning 1 yr split fir. It felt heavy, but had such high oil content that it burned well. Now round 2 at two years old is going into the woodshed. I am interested to see the difference. We also have madrona and locust + fruit wood if you are lucky enough to score some. All of which are better off to have a couple years drying time.

6 separate stacks counting my wood bin, around 8 cord total...on less than 1/4 acre city lot. My wife commented the other day that our yard looks somewhat "backwoods, lumberjack, ghetto" which I'm pretty sure was a compliment:)

Three

One pile to be split
One pile split, but stacking needed
And pile stacked

Attachments

• IMAG0079COMP.jpg
    IMAG0079COMP.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG0080COMP.jpg
    IMAG0080COMP.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 234
  • IMAG0081COMP.jpg
    IMAG0081COMP.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 241
One stack that has been able to be added to more quickly than it is taken from. 30 feet long, 28 wide with 5 1/2 ft tall stacks. Used to be all rows, but has turned into skid stacks as I have found plastic skids to stack onto.

Attachments

• tree49.jpg
    tree49.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 346
I have 4 stacks, 1 pile and rounds scattered around my driveway

stacks:
1 for next years hard wood - about 4.5 cords
1 for next years shoulder season - about 1 cord pine
1 for 2012-2013 that has wood from the log length delivery that has been cut and split (everything but oak in that stack) about 1.25 cords right now
1 for 2013-2014 that has wood from the log length delivery that has been cut and split (only oak) about 1.5 cords right now

pile:
1 pile containing the remaining log length that needs to be cut into rounds

rounds:
about 75 - 80 rounds that are too big for me to pick up and put on a splitter that a friend let me borrow. These are all 20" long and at least 16" in diameter.

0 piles...well, a very small pile of uglies. I have 3 stacks, each holding approximately a cord of wood. I just hit another score today that yielded 18 rounds measuring 16" in length and a foot in diameter, some larger. Because I'm limited for space, I'll wait till winter to replenish my stax.

Currently I have 6 totaling 6 cords. I'm limited on space right now as I'm building a garage. The back yard looks like the moon, or at least what I imagine the moon to look like :) I will try in the future to stock more.

2 piles. One is 3 rows 18ft long 4.5ft high and the other is 4 rows 22ft long 4.5 ft high. I was thinking it was about 4 cords total but I just the math and it's around 6.5 cords. Should be good for 2+ years. Oh and then once it gets heating season I stack some on the porch, that is a rows about 12 feet long, 4ft high.

fireview2788 said:
I may be branching out next year.

Pun taken ;-)

We have one 2 yr old pile (cord) by the house, another pile (half a cord of slightly punky stuff which is really dry though), another half cord drying in the greenhouse, a pile of unknown size in the garage, and a stack of some scruffy stuff including stumps and odd bits in a pile hidden away from view. Out scrounging this weekend so hopefully that will be another stack to season for 2013/14 supply.

I'm almost embarrassed to post any wood pictures after seeing some of the stacks on here ;-)

mywaynow said:
One stack that has been able to be added to more quickly than it is taken from. 30 feet long, 28 wide with 5 1/2 ft tall stacks. Used to be all rows, but has turned into skid stacks as I have found plastic skids to stack onto.

Dang man, 36 cords?! Thats insane...in a good way:)

I have got 15 or so cord... 3 going in woodshed for next season. 1 cord in racks under deck, for easy inside haul (also next season) and remaining 11 (and climbing) cords in a series of 5 rows, 3 feet wide by 20 feet long, with 3 foot or so between each 3 foot wide stack, so you could call that 7 areas, or you could call it 3 with one of them a big area. Oh and one pile of cut but not split...(to dang hot) that will be done when this weather breaks.

Shawn

I think you guys would drool over the wood piles my brothers uncle in law (is that even a such thing?). He burns about 100 cords a year. Heats house, workshop, milking parlor, swimming pool and a garage all on a big outdoor boiler.

I have next year's wood in the pole shed and two plus years behind the pole shed on a grassy hillside, exposed to sun and wind.

I have one pile "my wood cube/borg" that is my ready to burn this year that I re-build next to the driveway each summer. It holds up to 4-4.5 cords (target is 4 this year). It has 2 right now.

Then I have my "wood wall" down the side of the property that is a series of piles each slightly over a cord (about 1.2 - 1.3 ea but one is over 1.5) on pallets. They are two splits thick and I have 4 of those lined up. Could count those as one pile (they are lined up close) or as distinct as each can stand on their own.

Next is the stacking area just on the edge near the 'woods' on back of the yard. Like the wood wall on side, long double row there that now has about 2.5 to 3 cord stacked.

Finally there is my processing area with a few rounds from a recent CL score waiting to be split. That sits next to the wood borg next to the driveway.

Now all this sounds like a lot of space but in fact it all is very compact as I have about a half acre total and not a lot of it is really available for wood stacking/processing. I have to clean up each time I split/cut etc which eats up about half the time since I only get about 30-90 minutes to work each sitting. Everything has to 'look nice' at all times as my neighbors and cars driving by can see all. I haven't done an inventory lately to get an exact count but I'm probably around 10-11 cords in total at the moment. Not bad but a bit shy of my 12 cord goal. I should go measure to be sure though :)

Status
Not open for further replies.