How much 50:1 do you mix at a time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two gallons at a time. That lasts me several months.

I use 93 ethanol free with Stabil in all my small engines. I have used gas over two years old with zero problems before.

I see a lot of ethanol haters here.:)

Non ethanol gas is not available in my area. Ethanol used to give me trouble in my 4 stroke generator even with fuel stabilizer, but I converted that to propane. My 2 stroke stuff has never had a problem with it, but they get run more often than the generator.

I watched a youtube video from a carb manufacturer yesterday that said that their carbs are much more resistant to bad-fuel damage than they used to be, and they are working on diaphragm and gasket materials that will do even better. What I took away from that is that if you gunk up your carb, you can rebuild it for cheap and it will probably tolerate future abuse a little better than it did the first time around.

Non ethanol gas is not available in my area. Ethanol used to give me trouble in my 4 stroke generator even with fuel stabilizer, but I converted that to propane. My 2 stroke stuff has never had a problem with it, but they get run more often than the generator.

I watched a youtube video from a carb manufacturer yesterday that said that their carbs are much more resistant to bad-fuel damage than they used to be, and they are working on diaphragm and gasket materials that will do even better. What I took away from that is that if you gunk up your carb, you can rebuild it for cheap and it will probably tolerate future abuse a little better than it did the first time around.

Maybe it will... Look for a small local boat storage facility or a small local airfield, they will have it.

\ I think in LI NY you are screwed. But you're used to that, living on an island. :)
\l

If the rich guys all decide to blow each other up, it's gonna be terrible. Someone will nuke NYC, and I'll be trapped like a rat on this sandbar, unable to go take my rightful place of king of the post-apocalypse glowing hordes on the mainland! I'll have to rig up my chainsaw to a propeller and have an extremely dangerous one-man speedboat. Actually, scratch the 'terrible', this is gonna be awesome! ==c

I mix 2.5 gallon at a time. I use non ethanol gas . Ethanol draws moisture and deteriorates rubber. It will make your fuel line turn soft along with any rubber parts in the carb. the moisture it draws can ruin the engine. I've had a couple of saw shops tell me this. You can find non ethanol gas at all marinas and airports. I am lucky to have a gas station near by that has a none ethanol pump. cost about 80 cents a gallon more than premium i believe.

Does anyone know why some places you can get ethanol free and some you can't? It's got to be some lobbyists putting cash in someone's pocket. I try to run my stuff dry when done for the season but honestly it doesn't always happen and with the ethanol free I haven't had an issue.
I'm guessing Alaska don't have ethanol because the moisture it draws would be more apt to freeze and create problems. Same reason airports don't use ethanol. Who wants to ride in a plane with water in the gas ? marinas, well your in a boat surrounded by water bigger chance of drawing moisture.

Reactions: three feathers
Certain manufacturers, like Husqvarna, prescribe 50:1. Follow what the manufacturer says.

Actually, I have no idea what I'm mixing, 40, 50, 30, 20, have no idea. I use the Stihl grey bottles with exactly one gallon of non-corn gas and go to town. The Stihl grey bottles came with the MS-362 CM when I bought it +2 years ago and added 2 years to the warranty. It's all I use now, not worth bothering with anything else. Plus I like talking to Randy, owner/operator of Ardmore Power Eq., my local Stihl dealer.

Certain manufacturers, like Husqvarna, prescribe 50:1. Follow what the manufacturer says.
What we need to remember is all motor companies are struggling to meet epa guidelines and it sometimes comes at the expense of reliability. I know an engineer for ford and his take is the light weight oils they are using in their vehicles has nothing to do with what's good for the car it's what preform's better on the emissions test. He only runs 10w30 in his personal vehicle. I would bet the same applies here.

Reactions: three feathers
All the saw builders that I know of, all recommend at least 40/1 and in ported saws 32/1. They don't want their work to burn bearings or seize pistons. They sell service not new saws.

The problem as I view it is that ethanol-free is not high on most people's radar, so is not in great demand. If a retailer wishes to sell E-free, the demand will be low. Most retail tanks are around 4000 gallons, and it has to be sold fairly quickly, both for freshness and business concerns. And that creates a potential freshness problem. Any purchaser who wants E-free is also going to be concerned about freshness, which is an issue regardless of the ethanol content.

I'm a casual biker and this issue is hot among motorcycle riders. I've heard about retailers that would like to supply E-free but can't justify the problems.
Me too. A biker and a burner!

Reactions: Sprinter
If the rich guys all decide to blow each other up, it's gonna be terrible. Someone will nuke NYC, and I'll be trapped like a rat on this sandbar, unable to go take my rightful place of king of the post-apocalypse glowing hordes on the mainland! I'll have to rig up my chainsaw to a propeller and have an extremely dangerous one-man speedboat. Actually, scratch the 'terrible', this is gonna be awesome! ==c
Just get to the Hudson, hop on the Erie Canal to Rochester I'll take you in!

What we need to remember is all motor companies are struggling to meet epa guidelines and it sometimes comes at the expense of reliability. I know an engineer for ford and his take is the light weight oils they are using in their vehicles has nothing to do with what's good for the car it's what preform's better on the emissions test. He only runs 10w30 in his personal vehicle. I would bet the same applies here.
This is true,,,and at the same time, motor manufactures of all types have now had quite a bit of time to adapt and make their engines more reliable to the new EPA standards. Their carbs are also tuned to run the mix that they recommend. It is not as simple as dumping more oil = same performance and longer bearing life. If the engine isn't made for it, you can foul plugs and gum up the inside of the combustion chamber and actually increase compression and cause premature failure.

Everyone had a friend that has a buddie that has a brother who works for a motor company. The reality is that engines don't blow up and wear out anymore. They are made amazingly well and will usually outlive the rest of your car. Put a the weight the manufacturer recommends and use a high quality synthetic. Life is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.