How much air could an Eco-fan move if an Eco-fan could move air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jpl1nh

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Newfields NH
A friend of mine is looking to put a used EPA wood stove (brand and model still to be decided) in her fireplace. She probably would need a medium size heater, say 40k to 50k BTU. Currently she has her flat screen TV mounted on the wall directly above the hearth. It really is the best place for the TV as far as appearance and being able to see it in the room. Her question is whether an Eco-fan 800 or 802 could move enough air to keep the TV relatively protected from the heat output of the stove. I would estimate the flat screen would be about 4' above. I have no experience with the Eco-fans what so ever. What do you think? Should she just "chuck" the idea of the flat screen and find the second best location for it or would it work?

A metal heat shield will reflect the heat away from the area above the stove. You can build a beta test model with aluminum foil to see how much heat it blocks.

The T.V. will melt before the ecofan moves enough air to cool a 500 degree stove top.

Thanks Chettt, I feared that was the case regarding the Eco-fan but, that's an interesting idea regarding the heat shield. Worth trying. Can always move the TV if it doesn't work. I guess if it were me, I'd just move the TV. I can't believe it will be too good for it to be right over the wood stove no matter what you do. It will definitely be warm up there.

I would think that the tv would be an annoying distraction when she's trying to watch the fire, but hey--that's just me.

I also have a theory that this in part is why tv's became so ubiquitous--on some level we recognize that in the evening, we should be gathered around flickering lights as a communal, heart-warming experience.

snowleopard said:
I also have a theory that this in part is why tv's became so ubiquitous--on some level we recognize that in the evening, we should be gathered around flickering lights as a communal, heart-warming experience.

But it is really, really hard to get all of those football players into the stove.

If the TV is right above the hearth, won't the stove pipe run so it's blocking the screen??

Those eco fans are neat, but more of a novelty than anything else. They don't move much air.

BrotherBart said:
snowleopard said:

But it is really, really hard to get all of those football players into the stove.

You speak as a man with experience . . .

blippin' double post . . .

It sounds like the PO is talking about an insert. I was thinking of doing the same but never did. I took a laser heat gun to see if the TV could handle it and to my surprise it didnt get that hot above the insert. The reason is I have a lintel that projects out and redirects the heat enough so I couldnt get a reading any higher than 85 degrees after a few hours.

It depends on your construction. Get a cheap Laser heat gun and take some readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.