how much are you burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My P68 seems to handle it just fine right now but that might be a different story if my wife gets the addition to the house she has been planning!

Several words to the wise.

Quad pane low e windows, plenty of air leak sealing, insulation, insulation, and more insulation. No additional outside doors.

And perhaps some more insulation in the part of the house you already have.

Oh one more thing I don't think I mentioned it before insulation (what can I say I'm old and have CRS :p )

Several words to the wise.

Quad pane low e windows, plenty of air leak sealing, insulation, insulation, and more insulation. No additional outside doors.

And perhaps some more insulation in the part of the house you already have.

Oh one more thing I don't think I mentioned it before insulation (what can I say I'm old and have CRS :p )
Noted! Also I think CRS affects more than just the old;)

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
i have burned almost two tons so far this year....my house is poorly insulated, i am gradually fixing that issue.

should i get Green Teams or Cheat River at Lowes? or Appalacian brand not sure what the actual name is, at Tractor Supply?

i have burned almost two tons so far this year....my house is poorly insulated, i am gradually fixing that issue.

OUCH!!!! 2 tons already?!?! I thought I had it bad. Ive burned 24 bags so far.

Reactions: Hoot23
Just less than a bag a day for 2400 sq ft. Lots of solar gain, so on the nice days the stove only runs at night. 32 degrees outside, but it's 75 inside thanks to the sun.

we decided to change because our "all electric" house heating bill was $780 one month, although i think they did something wrong, i wasnt going to be put into that situation again, when the heat is in the 30's, i burn atleast 1 bag a day/stove and i have two stoves, one in basement is on low to keep floors heated and moisture out (old house)

3/4 bag a day. 800 sq ft ranch. Temps between 25 -45. Temp inside swings from 65-70 during the day. From 5PM -10pm we crank to 76. We go through 3-3.5 tons per season for the house. So at $209/ton, I am under $750 yr for heat.

Started with 60 bags of GT shoulder pellets and still have more than half left. Holding four tons of Barefoot/Somerset if we have a real winter. Have used Fireside Ultra as another shoulder brand with happy results and they are available at $209/ton. Will pick up a ton in the next two weeks so as not to "waste" the good stuff on "warm" weather. :)

62/67 hi low thermo settings with the 67 temp only on from 6-8am and 5-10pm. weekends it stays at 66 during the work day hours. I'm running a hi/lo for an hour, if no call, then it shuts off. Stove is hi on 3 (of 5) and lo on 1. I could run 2 but i find 3 burns cleaner and hotter for barely any more use than 2 does. Plus, the faster fan speeds push the air up the stairwell better. On REALLY cold nights, i'll run on 4. I've never used 5 for other than a few min to watch the fire grow insanely huge and scary. :X
I'm burning a little under a bag a day right now. Good sunny days keep the place at 62 for most of the day. It occasionally runs a bit, but not much during the work day when i'm not home. Maybe a 1/2 gallon or so of pellets (like a milk jug) are usually used. When the cold really sits in, i'll use about a bag every 20 hours, so probably 10 bags per 7 day week.

3k sg ft,... 30's during the day, 20's at night,.. using 1.5 bags a day,.. main level is 78 degrees!

i burn about a bag to bag and a half a day. fire stove up about 5 pm and turn off at 7 am. stove in basement im heating about 3200 square feet total. Its hot as hell in basement. around 70 ground level and about 68 upstairs. Gonna add my duct this weekend. should decrease pellet consumption i believe.

Thanks everyone.

We have been running the stove on auto with the temp set to around 68 room setting. Feed rate on 3. But my understanding is that on auto the stove will adjust the blower and feeed rate to maintain the selected heat setting.
Should I be running on stove or room with manual setting instead? And if so what seems to work best?

Is there proper block off plates installed in your chimney? Top and bottom?

Lots of heat can be sucked up the chimney and/or cold air down the chimney and into the convection blower path.

I just got my stove a week ago and was wondering how much you are burning. I live in a older house but am only. heating a smaller area of 900 squars feet. Lately it has been in the 20s at night and 30s during the day. I know that my house is not the best when it comes to insula
tion. I am running the stove on auto with the blower low and temperture around 68 and going though 2 bags a day Running 24/7 . Is something wrong here?

I believe I have the plate on the top but just insulation at the bottom.

I like running in room/ manual. Stove doesn't cycle off and on. Stove temp runs a little to hot for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.