How much ash do you accumulate per ton?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EarthStove

Jan 15, 2009
Northern MD
I decided to do an experiment this season. I started to collect the ashes from the ash drawer in an empty 40lb bag. For the most part our stove generates about half a bag full of ash per ton. This was with Hamers pellets. The Jury is still out on the Stove Chow.

Between Maines choice and green team pellets i have half a bag of ash from the 1 1/2 tons of pellets we burned.

Does anyone know what the comparison is between pellet stove ash-per-ton and wood stove ash-per-ton? I'm guessing that wood stove ash may be 10% or more per ton because of incomplete combustion, leaving charcoal in the stove which could be burned if heated to a high enough temperature. My neighbor's wood stove must produce a ton of ash because it belches out a ton of smoke which I get to breath. Lucky me. That stove needs a hell of a lot of air that it's not getting.

i get about that amount with stove chow per ton.

i think its a little more. i dont have an ash drawer so im only counting scoopable ash. im sure whats vacuumed out throughout the stove and vent must be an additional 1/8 bag.

Our ash pan gets full right around a ton. Burning Maine Woods this year.

Ash pan dimensions (Approx):
11"HX15"WX9"D

Status
Not open for further replies.