How much ash in the firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Hearth Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
How often do you scoop out ashes? Do you leave a layer of ash(inch or two) on the bottom while you burn? Does too much ash affect heat output?

My fire box has an open grate to the ash pan, so i usually rake the dead ash around to reduce the amount in the box, but not completly. I also usually leave about a 1/2" in the pan when empty it for insulation, I believe it cuts down on the radiated heat directly under the stove IMHO.
Hank

Woodslinger, you don't state what stove you have or if you have an ash pan. (You should put the type of stove you have in your signature line.) Our stove does not have an ash pan and we leave 1-2" of ash in the stove when we clean out the ashes which is about every 4th day during the winter and less often spring and fall.

Probably not often enough. Right now we have about 2". After 1.5 weeks of fairly steady burning it needs cleaning, but it will have to wait until the weekend.

I clean to the bare ce coals from a precious burn........................

The manual for my PE Model 27 says to leave at least 1" in the bottm. The ash/wood sits right on the firebrick.

To some extent I think it depends on the size of your firebox, my Regency is fairly small, if there is too much ash it will limit how much wood will fit.
I clean it every few days generally. On a larger stove a few inches of ash will not be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.