how much ash is normal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim5b

Jun 22, 2008
northern MA
Last night was the first burn... I have a St Croix York Insert and burned all night on the #2 setting.. Had about a 3/4 cup of ash. Using Lg Granules (softwood) The middle ash pan was half full. ( not very big) Is this normal.

Hard to say.....I've never burned them before, but that amount of ash doesn't sound excessive. Only way to tell would be if you had a different brand to compare to at the same heat setting. Plus every stove is a little different. I think your OK

That doesn't sound excessive to me

You will get some ash when you burn any brand. Some a little more than others.

Remember, every one likes a little ash but no one likes a smart ash.

Eric

Sounds ok to me.

jim5b said:
Last night was the first burn... I have a St Croix York Insert and burned all night on the #2 setting.. Had about a 3/4 cup of ash. Using Lg Granules (softwood) The middle ash pan was half full. ( not very big) Is this normal.
Premium grade pellets can be up to 1% ash content. That means 17 cu inches of ash/40 lb bag. 17 cu inches is a box about 2 1/2 inches on a side. Add a little air, fluff it a bit and you're probably well within normal.

Tailrace said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

:lol: :lol: :lol:

or an ash hole :bug:

kyburnr said:
Tailrace said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

And sometime you need to take an ash dump.

Eric

tinkabranc said:
kinsman stoves said:
kyburnr said:
Tailrace said:
kinsman stoves said:

Eric

Eric

LMAO- There is an ash for every seat too!

Please remember everyone has ash and opinions but some stink more than others

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
tinkabranc said:
kinsman stoves said:
kyburnr said:
Tailrace said:
kinsman stoves" date="1226008052 said:

Eric

Eric

LMAO- There is an ash for every seat too!

Please remember everyone has ash and opinions but some stink more than others

Eric

And ashes are like opinions.....everybody's got some, and some people's ashes are bigger than others.

meanwhile back at the origional question. a 40 lb bag of premium pellets will leave about a half a coffee can of ash. now, where this ash ends up is dependant on the wood medium used and the type of unit its burned in. if you have a stove that leaves very little ash in the front or burn area the ash has likely carried into the ash bin or been carried into the heat exchange areas or the exhaust flue. with experience its easy to determine what you have as far as ash distribution. new pellet stove owners should be urged to check after several bags the following areas knowing that there would be a certain amount of ash created , the ash bin (if equipped) the ash collection areas( if no ash bin is provided) , the heat exchanger areas (up above smoke shelves and coating tubes , etc... lastly , check the ash dump in the flue tee. you should not find much but it not only shows the new owner that ash does indeed get back there but familiarizes them with the procedure for clearing the tee without a lot of ash present.

these checks give the customer an idea of how quickly ash builds in various areas and encourages regular ash maintenance which we would all agree is key to a long happy life for the stove and less aggrivation down the road for owners.

a clean stove is a happy stove. a dirty stove will generally let you down when its needed most.

Funny how it used to be good to get as much ash as possible, and now we'd like to keep it to a minimum...

Status
Not open for further replies.