How much ash to expect?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelletizer

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Pellet County N.H.
Does anyone know how much ash to expect in the vent pipe after burning a couple tons of pellets?
Does ash build up in the horizontal pipe and can it build up enough to clog the pipe?
I have taken off my clean out on the tee and seen some fuzzy ash clinging to the sides of the vertical pipe.
How do you clean and how often do you clean the horizontal pipe with out pulling the pipes off the stove?

What I have gathered is most check the clean out tee every so often and vacuum it. As far as a full out cleaning of the vent pipe, once a season. I have actually checked mine out and have gotten about a teaspoon full of ash out of the tee and can't see anything in the vent pipe but a tiny bit of dust. I'm no expert though.

I have a 3' horizontal run in my venting and quite a bit of ash gathers there so I run a brush through after 2 tons.

There must be a way to do this without having to move the stove to get into the pipe?
Wondering if I remove the blower motor I could then snake a flexible vac hose through the pipe or blow compressed air out to the clean out tee.

Status
Not open for further replies.