How much better is a Stihl 390 over a 270?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyD

Minister of Fire
Jun 15, 2008
South Jersey
Having never really used a chainsaw much when I started burning I bought an ms 270 to help me with with my scrounging mainly because I figured something smaller might be easier to handle. Three years later I'm feeling like I want a little more power in my chainsaw so I started looking for a used one. I found a guy on CL with an MS 390 listed as like new for $400. Before I take the plunge and buy something used from someone I don't know I'd like to know if anyone can offer some insight as to how much better the ms 390 is over the ms 270? I'm feeling $400 is a fare price. I can always sell my saw to offset the price but before I go through all that I'm hoping someone here can help me decide if its a worth while upgrade or should I look for something else?

Joey, I can't offer a comparison but I can tell you this: I have a 390 with a muffler modification and it easily rips through everything I throw at it. I run a 16 inch bar on it. I am extremely happy with it. I paid a little under $400 off eBay. It was new and the muffler mod was already done on it.
I'm sure you will love it. As with any Craig's list purchase, check it out really good. Take your saw wrench with you and remove the chain and bar and have a good look at the sprocket. Remove the back cover and check out how clean it is around the spark plug, air filter. Fire it up! After maybe three pulls in Choke you should hear a little ''burp" as if it almost wanted to start. Move the switch up one notch and pull again and it should fire up.
Maybe you should take a few rounds with you so you give it a test run.
Hope it works out for you.

10 cc is that size saw makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.