1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much can I REALLY tow with a garden tractor?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Yarzy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Depending on what linkages you are talking about, often just going to the next size pin up and replacing pins, can tighten up a bunch. There are places that this won't work, but some that it will. Drill out to the next larger size and replace the pins. YMMV.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    I'm talking about ALL the linkages. The throttle cable linkage, the linkage from the throttle to the governor, to the idle..... there are a bunch of linkages on it, and they are all loose, especially the main throttle link on top of the carb... I can turn the throttle on the carb without moving the cable or throttle knob.... it's all just jiggleing around which can't be good.
  3. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Ahhh...that linkage.

A couple of ways to fix that (to some extent). Filling the holes in and re-drilling is one way, the other is to go to a hobby store and get very small diameter brass tubing. Cut off tiny rounds, fit into the worn out hole (might have to re-drill to get a round hole that fits), then using a prick punch, open each "end" of the round so that it stays in place. Essentially you are re-sleeving the hole. The shaft for the carb butterfly can also be tightened by finding the correct size tubing to slide over the original and redrilling the carb to accept the larger diameter. I have actually made new shafts for this purpose, as well.

Edit: it is time consuming to do a good job.
  4. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    The problem is, I don't even know what your talkin bout! I'll be having somebody who knows what their looking at have at it. ;)
  5. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Got it.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    If you post a picture of your problem on a wheelhorse forum you should be able to get help.
  7. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Did that, and we all had the same result, "Get somebody to have a look at it". ;)