1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much can I REALLY tow with a garden tractor?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Yarzy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    IMO this guy got this mower for free (thats all it was worth) fixed it, painted it and is now selling it for $700. the only good part is the trailer. Its either a murray or an old sears. He painted it red to throw off people who know. Why is he not listing it by the brand name? IMO Stay away!
  3. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  4. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  5. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Agway would mostlikely be an old MTD. It's a lawn tractor, not a garden tractor. Way too much $$ for what it is.

Now 'yer talkin. Wheelhorse was a great GT. And a snowblower attachment to boot. Way better deal than the Agway!

I hate it when they don't post a pic. Well worth the $$ if it runs and drives. Gravely parts (new ones anyway) are a tough item to come by. Pretty much limited to the enthusiast forums, NOS from former dealers, and eBay.

Here's a Gravely 810 in action:

[​IMG]
  6. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
  7. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Yeah, I saw that one too! That one looks so good I didn't want to post it! Lol! Oh we'll, the secret is out. I called/emailed both of these guys (red Agway and this wheel horse). Haven't herd back from wheelhouse yet. The only problem might be the fact I don't have a lot of space, the wheelhouse looks pretty big...?? That compact Agway with wood trailer is pretty enticing to me. Will see in person. I did notice what looks like fresh paint job with no orig name on it.... This could be good OR bad for me. Good=it's all fixed up and ready to go, I really don't want to spend time workin on the thing to get to workin order, or bad=he's tryin to pull a fast one....

That was one thing that bothered me on that one. It's possible the month/day is right, but year was wrong, or he doesn't know how to set date, OR he is pulling a fast one via old good pics and you get there and it's a rust bucket.....

Ohhhh... The Cragslist FUN! ;)

I LOVE this guy, "like new"! LOL! http://longisland.craigslist.org/tls/3535724968.html
  8. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I personally would be much more suspicious of the painted MTD over the wrong date on the wheelhorse. He probably just doesn't use the date.
    This is an example that you can "put lipstick on a pig"!
  9. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

More like "polish a turd..." ;sick ;lol
  10. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Naaa...that is not the one you are looking for. That is a vertical shaft engine with a different drive type. Basically a heavy mower that can push a snow plow around.

If you are looking at Allis - look for something with a 7 or 9 designation with an H behind it (712H, 916H, etc) The Hydro drive are bomb proof unless they have many thousands of hours on them.
  11. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    And stay away from the agway. That will have a crap rearend in it. Not good for any tongue weight. The wheelhorse is the pic of the day from the current posts. The gravely, although tough, is gonna be a gear drive most likely.
  12. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  13. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
  14. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
  15. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  16. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Ok, ALL OF YOU GUYS now owe my wife a GIANT tractor sized apology! I expect each and every one of you to step up, speak with her and apologize for what you have done!

I now own this one: http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/grd/3598893691.html Still trying to wrap my head around the fact I now own a TRACTOR with a snow blower on it!! I'm starting to wonder if I have lost it?

So now I have to figure out how to mount "stuff" on the back. It has the "3 point hitch" thingy on it, how do I get a regular (2") type hitch onto that? I image they make a 3 point hitch to a regular hitch adapter...? Off to figure all this out!

Here's a pic from a few minutes ago:

Side1_resize.JPG
  17. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Cool. Looks like a good one.

What to you plan on hooking up to it? I don't think you need a 2" receiver...just a draw bar with a ball mounted to it.
  18. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Yer welcome.;lol
  19. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Take a pic of the back end so we can see what you are dealing with.
  20. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    The real question is "How much weight can my garden tractor STOP with" You can pull much more than you can stop.
  21. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  22. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  23. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Good news is there is a 3 point available on evilbay. Bad news is there asking $350 or best offer.
  24. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    I would skip the three point. The front end is too light for you to pick much up with it.

The stock hitch will move a lot on its own.

More pics!
  25. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    EDIT: Just figured it out via picture, I didn't see that "stick" hanging out with the hole in it, ready to accept a ball. Perfect!

I want to find a small cart/trailer to haul wood back with. Prolly will also need to pull a splitter into the woods with it once I get a new splitter. Laslty, I'll be pulling my Boeing 727 out of the garage and out onto the tarmack with it. :) No joke, it sure seemed via the test ride like it would be able to do it! The things a tank.

There ya go!

I'll check out those sites, thanks. Yea, a 2" ball is what I meant...

Back_end_resize.JPG