1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much can I REALLY tow with a garden tractor?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Yarzy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Here ya go.

One thing I will want to do is quiet it down a bit somehow. Bigger/better muffler? It's pretty loud. I also need to fix/replace the headlight cover, it was broken.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Headlights work?
  3. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    No, but he thought it just needed bulbs. Since the plastic lens cover was broken, I'm sure they were either rusty, broken or burnt out. That's no biggie, electrical I'm very good at. The mechanical side I'm not the best, but I'll take anything electrical. ;) I'll replace them with LED lights or something...
  4. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    There is a guy on the other forum that makes a bracket to mount a 2" receiver hitch in, just in case you want to tow other stuff.

I had a pepper pot like that on my WH. I bought a used nelson muffler that helped a lot. You can buy a muffler for a farmall cub and have a stack, but that's not so good in the woods. Do a search on a gravely muffler and you should get some ideas.
  5. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Why would I need a bracket, can't I just drop the 2" ball into that hole, bolt it on?

I had a pepper pot like that on my WH. I bought a used nelson muffler that helped a lot. You can buy a muffler for a farmall cub and have a stack, but that's not so good in the woods. Do a search on a gravely muffler and you should get some ideas.[/quote]
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Cast iron Kohlers were not really known to be quite. Only so much you will do on that front. Second, if you are gonna put a hitch ball directly on the tongue, consider adding a length of flat stock so that you don't loose your pin hitch capability. I made an adapter to get the ball height up to a normal bumper level. Works well when moving trailers, boats, etc. (it is the correct height).

It is a crappy pic, but kinda gives the idea:
    hitch.jpg
  7. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Can you give me a link to the "guy"?
  8. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Depends on the size of that hole. 3/4"-1" = Yes, 5/8" = No

Won't be as strong as tying it in to something else higher up but may be "strong enough".
  9. Clarkbug

Clarkbug Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY
  10. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Very nice hitch. If you going to move around trailers a lot, you may want to get the 3 point. The 3 point allows you to stay in the tractor seat and raise and lower the hitch under the trailer you are trying to move. Hitching and un-hitching will get old real fast if your moving trailers around regularly. (I am assuming there is hydraulics on your tractors 3 point.) You could offer 200 for the 3point on fleabay.
  11. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Once I got it home last night and had a closer look, I see that tongue is very low, that won't work for a regular hitch ball. But there are some beefier mounting points up higher I'll have to get/make something for....

AWESOME. That is exactly the kind of thing I need. I'm going to regi over there and get one and some help with this thing(Tractor), I'm lost with it. It needs a tune up, and a bit of electrical work. Everything was working (including lights) when I got it home, but then I tried the cigarette lighter which didn't work, but after that I could not get the lights to come on or able to engage the snow blower.

I don't think I'll be moving them around "alot", just once in a while... I have to figure out what the "3 point" actually is! I'm having a hard time understanding what it consists of and does. I was under the assumption it was just a place with 3 points to mount a hitch/or bracket to it instead of the nomral 2" square type mount as being made in above link. I guess the 3 point also includes hydrolics, which would be why the Fleabay deal is $350? I see hoses and a cylander in that listing.

So my tractor (boy, that was weird to type! ;) ), has what I "think" is mounting spots for a 3 point, and has a empty pully spot in the rear, but does not have hydrolics back there. Here's a few shots of the rear end:

Attached Files:

12. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    The pulley was most likely intended to run a rototiller.

Is the clutch for the snowblower electrically energized? If so, it sounds like you blew a fuse while messing with the cig lighter.

For your purpose of a mule - forget about 3 point anything. Get a hitch rigged up that puts the 2" ball at the most common height it will be used for. Unless you are moving boats around a marina or something, the "automation" of lifting and lowering the ball hitch is probably not an issue.
  13. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Go to the bottom of the link I attached. 3 point refers to the triangle connections a 3 point makes. two lower and one upper. http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/34055-d-250-3-point-hitch-drawing-dimentions/
  14. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Keep in mind that a custom mount will keep the ball hitch closer to the tractor than mounting a 3-point and then ball. It may not sound like much, but the extra leverage will reduce the weight on the front end.
  15. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    I figured that was for rear attachments... I would like to rig up a small generator to that rear pully, somebody posted a pic of a genni on the front/side of one of these things and gave me that idea.

Yes it is, it's controlled with a switch on the panel so it must be electically controlled. That's exactly what I assumed, the cig lighter prolly shorted and blew a fuse. But in a VERY quick look around, I could not find any fuses anywhere, I'll take a better look tonight, and try to get a manual for it.

Yes, that's what I figured also. But I'm just trying to figure out what a "3 point" is, just to have an understanding... although I guess I could do a 3 point splitter on it? but I think I'd rather just get a splitter I can run on it's own.

Gotcha, and will check out. Problem is, I registered on the wheelhorse site, and since I can't get on. it says "You have no auth" to anything I click on now. I guess I need to wait for a regi confrm email....

I'm with ya man. Going to order one of those custom ones pronto.

Now, who wants to come over and tune this thing up? It desparately needs a tune-up! When the throttle is up high, it back fires once in a while, and it boggs down pretty good when the snow blower is put in any heavy snow.
  16. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Two things: Trying a 3 point splitter on that GT ain't gonna work. WAY too much weight for it. Second, if you are looking to rig up a genny - go straight off of the engine. That rear pulley is probably geared down. Wheel horse actually designed a genny for front mount. I believe it was 3500W.
  17. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Yeah, I'm not going the 3 point route, thanks. Oh mamma!! They made a genni? This is going to be fun! :)
  18. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Jags,
    What are you doing posting on here today? Aren't you supposed to be in the car on the way to LI to work on this thing? ;)
  19. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Cast Iron Kohlers are easy, peasy. Just do it.
  20. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Yes, but I would not want to take the fun away from you, that would be rude of me! I'll await your arrival. :)
  21. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    As far as a tune-up, start with the easy stuff first. Change the oil. Get some fresh fuel in it. Replace the spark plug and air filter. Pretty short $ to do those any anyone can do it. If that doesn't work, then try adjusting the carb. Just start in and keep going down the list until it runs to your liking.

Those old cast iron kohlers are damn near immortal. My dad has an old Gravely that has had 0 parts replaced in the past 30 some years. As long as it isn't knocking or smoking I highly doubt there's much wrong with it other than what I listed above.

Chances are good that it just needs some exercise to work out the cobwebs. Those things like to work and if it has been sitting around for a long time it could cause what you describe.

Fresh oil.
    Fresh fuel.
    Fresh air.
    Good spark.
    That's about it.
  22. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    There is one weak point in them and that is the carb. After tons of hours, the carbs can actually wear and get "loose" making it difficult to get properly tuned. I have only seen a couple do that and they had many thousands of hours on them.

What makes you think it needs to be tuned? What are the symptoms?
  23. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I use a 3 point on a garden tractor all the time. It makes life much easier moving trailers around. I not moving boats. Its usually tailers with wood in them. Mine is a 2 cylinder GT, his is 1 cylinder that weighs 900lbs.
  24. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    It probably needs at least a points adjustment or replacement, carb cleaner and possibly new plug and air cleaner. See how much crap is in the fuel bowl. If it runs add some seafoam to the gas and let it run through.
    If the fuel lines are brittle, its probably best to replace them and clean out the fuel tank at the same time.
  25. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I'm not saying that they don't have their place, they do. But if my ball hitch extended an additional 4 or 5 inches, I would find myself in trouble. Some of the stuff I pull will already lift the front tires off the ground. Any more leverage and I would have to go to front weights. (and my mule is a bit longer and a bit heavier than his IH)