1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much can I REALLY tow with a garden tractor?

Post in 'The Gear' started by Yarzy, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    If you adjust the carb just go 1/4 turn one way and see what happens. If you only make small adjustments and keep track of them, you can always go back. Don't be afraid. The Kohler manual should give you the factory starting settings. I know they are in my Cub Cadet Manual.
    Here's the Kohler manual. http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf Go to section 6. Page 6-27 or so.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Since you are already close, I would even suggest 1/8 turns. It won't take much to bring it back in line.
  3. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    I'll give it a whirl.... fingers crossed! ;)

So any help on what kind of oil to use/put in the hydro?
  4. Flatbedford

Loc:
    The Cub manual says to use Hytran brand hydraulic oil. It is the same pump as your Wheelhorse. You cab probably use any hydraulic fluid. have you found a Wheelhorse manual for it?
  5. Flatbedford

Loc:
    I gave you the wrong page. Just go to the beginning of section 6 in the Kohler manual for carb settings.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    I wouldn't mix hydraulic fluids.
    Jags likes this.
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Agreed. And with the age of that machine, I would consider new fluid and filter to be on the short list of things to do.
  8. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Yep, that's what I'm trying to do, change the fluid and filter completely. MM says any Hydrolic fluid, so pep boys has Brake hydrolic fluid, Transmission hydroli fluid, Steering hydrolic fluid. So do I get Transmission fluid? And I've always wondered this, are they all just the same thing in a different can, being Hydrolic fluid? (not the different brands, the different purpose...)?
  9. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Flatbed, yes I got the Parts manual, the Service manual and the Kohler manual. The only one I'm missing is the Ownwers Manual, which is probably the one that says what type of fluid to use....

Another question you guys might know, the Kohler manuals refer to 3 different version of the motor, "Battery/Brakerless", "Magneto" and "Gaseous Fuel Engines", each having different settings (plug gap). How do I know which one I have?
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I believe yours will be of the magneto version. It will run without a battery (battery is for electric start). The battery/breakerless will be an electronic ign. and the Gaseous will be for propane as fuel.

Don't pick your fluid out willie nillie. Find out what is recommended.
  11. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
  12. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  13. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Oh, I joined. But asking same questions here, much faster. That sight is a bit slower (alot less traffic). I'm sure I'll get answers, but I need them NOW! ;)

Funny, I did read somewhere in one of the manuals it said to use 10w-30 oil in Hydro. I said that HAS to be a mistake and disregarded it. ? ? That just doesn't seem right, but then again, the filter for it is a regular old Napa oil filter, so maybe it is right?
  14. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I actually thought that was what was suggested for those, but I couldn't remember specifically so I held back. Basically if it currently has tranny fluid (red in color) use the new dextron stuff to top it off. If it looks like motor oil, use the multi weight.
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Or dump it all and fill it with universal tractor transmission/hydraulic oil. (IH calls it HyTran, Deere calls it HyGuard or HyGuard Low-Visc, WalMart, Sams, TSC, etc carry it as do most equipment dealers.)

And forgeduhboutit.
    Jags likes this.
  16. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    The fluid is very low on it, so hard to tell, but I'm pretty sure it is the clearish stuff with a pink tint to it. I'll find out shortly, I'm about to go out and pull the filter and dump the fluid.

That's the plan! Thanks for your help guys....
  17. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    We probably do respond faster, but if there is a search function you could find the information even faster.
  18. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Maybe, but it is funner to ask you guys! :)

Tried that one already. You have to enter exact model and serial #, it then says "Valid Model #, Invalid Serial #". Can't seem to get that owners manual, it's only 14 pages, but kept like a military secret. Yet, you can download the 66 page DETAILED service manual all over the place. Kinda weird.
  19. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Machria, You would happen to be the town adminstrator that had a tooth ache (really fixing his new tractor) that called out sick during the snow storm?
  20. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    LOL!
  21. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    What is your model number?
  22. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
  23. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Page 10 says Type A automatic tranny fluid. Being that this is a dated print, I am betting that the newest dextron is a superior product.

Page 11 shows the wiring diagram and the fuse that you blew on the cigarette lighter circuit.
  24. Machria

Machria Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Brookhaven, Long Island
    Model 1 0500 6
    SN# 3 130954

It's close, but not the exact model. That one is a newer version, pretty much the same apparently though. But it's $ to download. But I cut and pasted each page, saved them and then put them together, so I have it now. ;)

The guys on wheelhorseforum say you can use either ATF or 10w30 or synthetic. Doesn't matter much... I'm going out to dump it right now, if it is pink, I'm going to stick with the ATF for now, otherwise synthetic 10w30.
    Jags likes this.
  25. Jack Fate

Jack Fate Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northwest Ohio
    P1010473.jpg P1010473.jpg P1010478.jpg
    Jags and MasterMech like this.