How much chimney to add for elevation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoozie

Burning Hunk
Sep 30, 2012
Klamath Basin, Oregon
To start off, I'm probably overthinking this, but here goes :p

I'm at ~4200'. I currently have 10' of Class-A Duratech from the ceiling through the attic, and ~6' of DVL with two 45°s from the stovetop to the ceiling, for ~16' total. Englander calls for 15' from the floor, so 12.5' from the stovetop, at sea level.

Simpson says to add a couple inches per joint, then another "30-60%" to the chimney at higher elevations. (gee, real specific there, lol)

ICC/Excel says to add a foot for each 45° piece, then 4% per 1000' elevation.

Doing ICCs math, I'm about a foot short of the 12.5' at sea level equivalent.

My main 'issue' has been losing secondaries towards the middle of the burn. I get smoke out the chimney, and if I shuffle the box around, then I get open flame for a while, with a bit of smoke still. I think a little more draft may help keep the secondaries a bit longer?

So, think I should add the 1' section? Go for broke and add a 2'? Currently I have 3' sticking out right near the peak, so I can technically add the 2' without needing bracing.

Or is there a better rule of thumb for how much chimney you should add at higher elevations?

I would buy some cheap single wall stovepipe from a hardware store, stick that on a nice day on top of the chimney and see by how much that improves the burn. You could try a 2 ft section and if that makes a noticeable difference, proper class A will only make it better, not worse. If 2 ft helps but you feel the draft could still be better, I would try adding 3 to 4 ft of class A.

I forgot about the ~15" of single wall I still had from my previous chimney "install." I put that up yesterday, and it does seem to draw a little better, but eventually the secondaries still die and I get lots of smoke until I open the air back up.

I do have a 3' section of duratech I can use*, assuming I can get the adapter ring thing off it ;lol I'll probably do that, and spend the $100 on bracing rather than new pipe.

I guess one worry I had was getting too much draft if I add 2' or 3', but then I realized unless I add another 15', that probably won't be an issue ;lol

*3/4 of the pipe is painted black, so it'll have to go in the attic under the current sections <>

Status
Not open for further replies.