How much chimney to add?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trktrd

Feeling the Heat
Nov 12, 2010
Arkansas
I've been getting by OK with my stubby little 11' chimney, but getting tired of fighting with draft issues, dirty glass,etc. So I've decided to bite the bullet and add a section of class A and add roof braces. I have no manual for my stove and internet searches for ideal chimney height are very vague. With a very low pitched roof, I will have to add braces regardless. So any ideas on how much higher to go? I read on another post to try just jamming a piece of single wall on top and experimenting, but I think that the insulated class A would have different characteristics.

Just got off the phone with the local dealer and was told to follow the 10/2 rule on height above the roof. Other than that chimey height on a cat stove doesn't matter. So that's what I'm dealing with around here. Depending on the wisdom of the Hearth.com magi to solve this one.

A piece of single wall would give you an approximation of how the system will perform. It should only be temporary.

How well does your chimney meet the 10-2-3 rule?

Is it near the peak of the roof, or near the low edge?

-SF

It's well within the guidelines and near the eaves of the house. With such a low pitched roof I know it will look goofy, just want a proper draft. It's time to reload so i'll grab the ladder and a piece of single wall first and give it a try.

Trktrd said:
Just got off the phone with the local dealer and was told to follow the 10/2 rule on height above the roof. Other than that chimey height on a cat stove doesn't matter. So that's what I'm dealing with around here. Depending on the wisdom of the Hearth.com magi to solve this one.
So the 15 foot min. chinmey height does not hold true for your stove?

According to the dealer 15" is sufficient. Anyhow, I added a 2' piece of single wall and reloaded. Made a noticable difference. No smoke out of the stove when I opened the door and I was able to close it right away without the flames going out. Usually have to leave the door open for a bit before it will sustain itself.

I think those 15 ft are pretty arbitrary. We all know how many variables other than chimney length are going into a good draft: outside temp, stove temp, airsealing of the house, wood quality etc. Heck, even running the bathroom fan can sometimes throw off the draft. Given your location, I would have guessed that 11 ft are too short. Great that just adding 2 ft helps so much. My PE Super has great draft with just 13 ft of flue but the temperatures here are a bit different.

Trktrd said:

Having or not having a cat in the stove makes no difference with a chimney. You have only 11' but are there any elbows in the flue? If so, each 90 degree you can figure about 2-3' less than what you have now. So if only two 90 degree bends, you effectively have a 5-7' chimney!

It is true that sometimes you can get by with shorter chimneys but it sounds as if another 4' section would be ideal for you. It is good to add some single wall for a test and then get the right stuff up there.

15 ft is a guide line they use, that would be straight up pipe, a starting point to build on if you have to. My summit still does not have the top end others do and I have 21 ft overall straight up chimney in the house only 6 ft exposed outside.

oldspark said:
15 ft is a guide line they use, that would be straight up pipe, a starting point to build on if you have to. My summit still does not have the top end others do and I have 21 ft overall straight up chimney in the house only 6 ft exposed outside.

That's almost exactly what I have, 21 with 6 exposed.

Well I picked up a piece of 2' class A yesterday and now have a total of 13' 8"straight up. Working better than I would have ever expected. Didn't even have to reload the stove at 4 AM. Burned all night without a problem and the glass is a heck of alot cleamer. Very pleased with it now. Thanks for all the input.

It is amazing how such a seemingly minor change can make a world if difference.

That 2 feet will completely change your experience burning this year!

-SF

How true. I'm re-learning my stove all over again. Still can't get over the difference 2' can make.

Status
Not open for further replies.