How much could I stack in an s10 pickup?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
burntime said:
Here is a link, you will be eternally damned if you load more then 3 splits per some members, others will tell you that they giver' till she splits. I have 1500 pd booster coil shocks and a pic of a face cord and a half (if you go 3 faces to a cord) or a half a cord of green dead standing oak. This is some of the heviest stuff we have with the exception of hickory and maybe apple. Similiar truck...ford ranger https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/20718/ Oh, and I checked. Ford rangers have 2 size rear drums. Mine are something like 10 inch or what ever was the hd ones. Sounds funny hd anything on a ranger, but it does the job.

Hey burntime, thanks for the tip on the coil shocks. I'm gonna get me some 1200 lb monroes today. Won't have to listen to the mud flaps rubbing asphalt all the way home. I have a long bed Ranger. With the extra foot you can load it up good. haha.

I have also heard good things about timbrens or timbrems. Check them out as well. Yep the load hauler monroes really do a great job and don't screw up the ride. I think they derated them now to 1000 pds added, they look identical though. Its always no fun when the lawyers get involved :cheese: Happy overloading! :lol: By tthe way, I have the larger brake drums, like I said all along, stopping is the issue.

burntime said:
I have also heard good things about timbrens or timbrems. Check them out as well. Yep the load hauler monroes really do a great job and don't screw up the ride. I think they derated them now to 1000 pds added, they look identical though. Its always no fun when the lawyers get involved :cheese: Happy overloading! :lol: By tthe way, I have the larger brake drums, like I said all along, stopping is the issue.

Yup, I might have to look into better brakes since I won't be going uphill as much and the mud flaps won't be slowing me down anymore.
Couldn't find timbrens around here. I can get the monroes at Advance Auto with a $20 coupon. Should be better than I had.
Thanks again.

1/2 ton, amount of cord depends on ratio of pine to hardwood. Remeber this rule of fools. 1/4 ton trucks have 1/2 ton payload capacity, 1/2 ton trucks hold 1 ton if its a chevy, 3/4 ton for other brands, 3/4 tons will hold 1 1/2 tons, plus tow another 10, and if you happen to have a 1 ton, then you have not worry about payloads, as it'll haul anything.

woodsman23 said:
4.3 watch the intake manifold..... was a big issue with them motors

Funny you say that. Shes almost 250k and I JUST did the gasket last week. She was starting to bleed all over. ;)

Wood Duck said:
nojo said:
smokinjay said:
1/4 up to a 1/3 of a cord just keep an eye on the springs,and yes mond it up till it starts squat pretty good.

Not worried about squat. 3000lb airbags were added a few years ago when I had it FULL of horseshoeing equipment. Best 200 upgrade ever. :)

Horseshoeing equipment? I'm thinking two steel pegs, handful of horseshoes, pair of flip flops, and a six pack shouldn't weight more than about 50 pounds, tops. That would equate to about 10 or 12 dry splits. Normally I'd say a pickup would hold 1/4 cord of dry wood if you stack it in carefully.

Im a pro farrier not some hack. ;)

Heres some of my inventory.

150 lb anvil
Steel Anvil Stand
40# Propane Tank
Large double burner propane forge
med size Oxy/Acce Bottles
Two Drill presses sitting on a Drawer
Band Saw
6" Bench Grinder
Belt Grinder on a slide out
Large Stainless Kobalt Tool Chest
100lb horseshoe nails
A bunch of Acrylic & Poly based glues and impression materials
Horse Shoe Rack
Around 200 Pairs of steel shoes in various sizes Give or take
Around 20 pair of Aluminum shoes
Titanium depending what im doing
Shoeing box full of tools for working at the horse
Misc Forging tools;
Several Rounding hammers
Several Tongs
Pritchels
Punches
Hardy tools
Angle Grinder
Cordless Drill
Cordless Jig-saw
impact driver for tapping
Many many horseshoe Pads
Kevlar Sheets
Tungsten Carbide Rod
Bar Stock
Computer ect...
the list goes on and on Its not light load.

If I was hanging iron on some puke of a horse for $50 a head I might consider lightening the load, but for what I get you've got to be prepared.

keep it into the manyfacturer recommendation or you will burn your back wheels bearing like i did. tow a trailer instead.

I usually load my pickup until the bald tires start to become translucent and I can see the air in them. Then I put a few more splits on, but only over the wheel that has the working brake.

Ironically my trusty s10 threw a rod bearing. :(

Nothing to do with wood but she was at 250k. I might get her a new motor and do it all over again!

Status
Not open for further replies.