How much creosote/soot is acceptable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfitz3

Feeling the Heat
Jan 6, 2015
Northern Michigan
Did my big clean out today. I have a progress hybrid with a 5' rise inside and 18' outside, connected by about a 2-3 feet horizontal connector. In total, I had about 2-3 cups of soot/creosote come out.

Most of it was loose on the bottom of the horizontal section and had collected in the clean out on the bottom of the T outside. There were two places that had some glazed creosote (not much though) and everything else was flakey powder that came off all but instantly. It seemed like most of that was close to the bottom of the outside portion of the stack.

Does that all seem normal?

My wood wasn't the best last year and I'm thinking with better wood the amount of crud will decrease this year.

My wood wasn't the best last year and I'm thinking with better wood the amount of crud will decrease this year.
It will. Your situation sounds like my first year with less than perfect wood. I only get a cup or so of powder soot now which I'm happy with. What you've described so far doesn't sound bad which tells me that you are doing your homework regarding proper burning. And it will get better as you go along.

My stove is not a hybrid, but a non-cat PE Super 27, but I think you are doing it right given what you have the first year. Keep and eye on the glaze, though, that's the worst kind. Get rid of it before you burn any more.

Last edited:
I hit the glaze hard enough to get it off the stack wall, but there was some left, I think, at the joint. Should I go back in for a thin line of glaze. The rest of the stack is nice n purdy now.

I hit the glaze hard enough to get it off the stack wall, but there was some left, I think, at the joint. Should I go back in for a thin line of glaze. The rest of the stack is nice n purdy now.
No you are fine and 2-3 cups is just fine as well. You will probably do better in the future but even if you don't there is nothing to worry about with what you described.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I normally get between 1/3 and 1/2 gallon of creosote in any given year in my PH. I burn 24/7 during season and try to use only dry wood. We normally burn around 3 to 3 1/2 cords of wood per year. It sounds like what your experiencing regarding creosote is fine.

Toddnic... That has me feeling pretty good on a few fronts... First, on how clean the stove seems. Second, I'm guessing I have a lot more degree days of heating than you but we burn about the same volume of wood. Taking the attic to R60 must have done more than I hoped! ...$400 well spent!

My wood is predominantly maple and beech. Wondering what you have on hand...

Status
Not open for further replies.