how much did you save on oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
Bought my house in May and there was a full tank of oil 275 gallon tank. I have gone through 1 tank thus far and imagine I will go through a little less than a half tank before may. At an average of 2.80 a gallon (modest side).I imagine i will spend $1155 dollars on oil (412.5 gallons is one and a half tanks of oil times average of $2.80 per gallon) for the first year.

Now to the pellets. I will finish the season at three tons at an average of 300 per ton for a total of $900 for pellets.

Total heating cost for one year will be around $2100. $1155 plus $900.

based on what friends are telling me that heat with oil they have gone through at least 4 full tanks this year. Again being modest that would equate to 1100 gallons of oil at 2.80 for a total cost of around $3100

At the very least I believe I have saved around $1000 in the first year.

My stove with install was $3800. Three more seasons and the stove would have paid for itself and then some.

I think I have calculated everything right.

How much are you saving?

With oil prices down and pellet prices up, my savings are just about zero right now.

Haven't calculated the costs but last winter with a non EPA stove and a small one at that, I went through almost 3 tanks of oil. This year with my new timberwolf 2200 I've got a quarter tank left and haven't filled yet this winter, and don't plan on it! Love my new stove!dont need to calculate numbers that's all I needed to see!

it's hard to compare from pre-pellet to post pellet . on oil kept the house at "put sweats on " then with pellets "shorts and t-shirts" .

We don't care anymore .

wife had major surgery a couple weeks ago and was sitting their with her while she was filling out her menu for the next days meals . asked her how they were and she said awesome , but I miss my pellet stove !!!!

i cringe every time the oil kicks on , but just gladly paid $395 for a ton of Okie doug firs :)

guess it's all in how you look at it .

Last year we spent just over $2k on oil and kept the thermostat at 65-67. This year we're on track to burn 41/2 tons that I bought at 215 a ton... so just under $1k and the house was 72-75 all winter. We burned less then $100.00 of oil in the shoulder season.

Thanks for the replies. I also didn't start running my stove full time until mid Dec. Next year I may start running it full time earlier now that I know what to expect. It's just good to know I am saving something at least. That was one of my reasons for purchasing a stove but now I enjoy running it and my house is perfect for alternative heat. 1600 square foot multilevel.

Thankfully we don't use sludge on the west coast but do use LP for heating. Unfortunately LP hasn't moved downward with lower oil prices as much as it moved up when oil prices were climbing. I calculated $1400.00 +- a few bucks to date is what we would have used in LP had we not installed the pellet stove. Total cost of the stove and install was $1500.00 and we have burned 55 bags of pellets @ 3.98/bag for a total of $1718.00. So in another $318.00 we will break even and start putting money in our pocket which should be sometime before the end of this winter.

I use about 400 gal. of oil / year. This means about$1200-1600/ yr. This makes the $4-5K install cost for wood burner very reasonable. Even at 50% reduction in oil usage, I break even in 5-8 years.

With the drop in oil prices I probably saved about 1000-1500 by using pellets. If oil stays this low I'm burning oil next year. Pellet stoves are a lot of work. I work a lot already so the savings for me isn't worth the work of loading pellets and cleaning the stove. The heat from the stove is amazing, I will miss that.

On the average we used to burn 1000 gallons of fuel oil a year. So for easy figuring use 3.00 times 1000= 3000.00
This year was 144 bushels of corn at 3.35=482.40 plus 3 ton of pellets at 210.00 =630.00 total was- 1112.40
saving 1887.60

Reactions: BlackGreyhounds
My last tank was $2.07 a gal, and I bought my Blazers and FSUs from HD for $239 a ton, delivered, so basically I've saved nothing, but I have to burn what I already bought.

I don't have precise numbers. I will next season for sure but in a crack I usually would spend $2000 to $2500 on oil, and barely warm at 68 degrees. Spent less than $900 on pellets. About $100 on oil. House is toasty warm. Simply put we never thought it could be this nice and warm in my house in the winter. And this winter was just the coldest ever for us.

The last time I filled my oil tank was almost 7 years ago. The last year I heated with oil cost me $2400. I still have just under a half tank and will probably go another couple of years before I need oil. I may take advantage of the low price and fill it though.

I have spent, on average $600 to $650 a year to heat my home. That's roughly $1800 a year in savings X 7. (plus or minus based on price of oil. Pellets have remained pretty consistently priced) Best decision I ever made. Oh, I'm warm too!

without getting into in depth math all I know is I bought my new stove mid last year and it's already paid for in oil savings, at the price of $998.00 ==c

Last couple of years were the first since the early 70's that we burned anything but wood. Last year we used $2550 worth of LP plus a couple cord of wood. This year $160 for LP and will likely finish off 1100 bucks worth of pellets and about half cord of wood.

Paid about 1400 for the stove and all necessary accoutrements so I figure it about paid for itself already.

This heating season I have already paid for the St. Croix and hearth pad that I bought used last November $1500. Still working on paying off the Harman I bought last year - but bought that new and professionally installed. Next year I will pay for that easily with the savings. I run propane - put in 150 gallon last fall ($3.11) and run it for cooking, DHW and running water thru the FHW pipes a couple times a day. Won't need to get any propane until summer, at the earliest.

I saved close to a hole tank of fuel, since the furnace only ran a couple of times this year!

How much did you spend on pellets to get the tank of oil savings?

I saved NOTHING. I don't use oil.

Reactions: GT_Sharp
I saved NOTHING. I don't use oil.

I would think that being on pellet heat exclusively would make your house harder to sell should the desire arise. If I were to put in a pellet boiler, it would be in addition to my oil furnace.

Reactions: Phoenix Hatchling
I saved close to a hole tank of fuel, since the furnace only ran a couple of times this year!

If your tank of oil were to cost you $600, and your 6 ton of "wood pellet co" costed you $1500, are you ahead?

Cost me $985 to fill tank in spring burnt 3 tons so far at $188 a ton "spring buy" so that's $564 compared to the $3000 I spent on oil last year. So yes quite a savings,plus my home is now 75 degrees instead of 68 degrees

If your tank of oil were to cost you $600, and your 6 ton of "wood pellet co" costed you $1500, are you ahead?
$600 times 3 tanks to make it through a hole winter makes it $1800. Assuming I will burn the hole six tons " not likely" but yes $1500 would still be less money than oil.

4 tons of pellets, 100 gallons of oil = $1300

I dont really compare the savings vs oil anymore, no matter how you look at it, we're still saving money here. when the price of oil tanks we're saving a little less than other years but we've gotten so used to having the house much warmer than 68 (most rooms) that its worth it.

I also like that once every 2-3 years i put in a large order for pellets, stock up the garage and i know that my fuel is here for the next say 3 years. done and paid for. No matter what happens, job loss etc, we'll be warm in the winter and the worry is no longer there when its 3 degrees out and the tank has 1/8th left on the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.