how much did you save on oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I averaged 800 gallons of oil back when I used it exclusively. Can refill for about $2.80/gal this year which is below average compared to '10 & '11 when I last took data.

Oil = $2,240/yr.

Looks like a typical year is going to be about 5 tons of pellets. 5*$250 = $1250.
I will also use about 100 gallons of oil for those 0::F nights pipe protection. 100*$2.80 = $280.

Pellets = $1,530/yr.

Savings = $710 in 1st year

Puts me at almost exactly a 3 yr payback.

10 or so year's ago pellets were $134 a ton at HD/Walmart, used to burn 2 tons for a whopping under $300 a yr to heat my house

Spent about $1400 in kerosene last year. Put $20 in kerosene in the tank at the beginning of the heating season this year. Spent about $775 on pellets this year along with about $1300 in purchasing and installing my stove. I'll have gotten return on my investment after next season. Very happy with my stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.