How much do the large soapstone weigh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
I'm curious. Anybody know what the big old ones weigh? Those old combi stoves look huge in the pics.

Which ones you talking about? I think my new PH weighs 800 lbs, I think it was 700 stripped, they're heavy.

The Hearthstone Equinox is 4 cu ft. and weighs 689 lbs. Four reasonably strong guys in their 20's cannot lift it more than a few inches without risking injury. It's just a PITA to get a good hold of it on the top edge.

The soapstone itself is VERY heavy.

Woodstock Progress Hybrid = 700 lbs.
Hearthstone H1 = 729 lbs.
by comparison the PE Alderlea T6 = 585 lbs.

The "little" Fireview, with double-layered stone in a lot of it, is still pushing 500. Heck, my dinky Keystone with thinner stone and not as much double stone, is still 440. I'm not sure which stove you're talking about but it sounds like a back-breaker. :oops:

Wow, those are a lot heavier than I thought. I wonder how many have issues with the weight and their floor joists.

Wow, those are a lot heavier than I thought. I wonder how many have issues with the weight and their floor joists.
Some play it safe and beef up the floor joists, mines on a stone hearth on concrete slab

No problem whatsoever. Good floor braces, solid underlayment on the heart, slate hearth.....no problems.

I made a rail system out of 2 x 6's 8 feet long spanning.over a very old joist floor. This way the load is shared over a span. I slightly cocked the on end 2 x 6 so very little surface was touching the crate. Then I butchers waxed the rails. I was able to push the Progress Hybrid without too much trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.