How much do you cut and split on an average day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the winter cutting standing/leaning dead, a FEL bucket a day is my goal...takes about 45min to an hour C&S-ing cause they're all easy takes. Some days I get 3 buckets other days 0. Never more than a gas tank full, then I drain out the remaining bar oil to be warmed up overnight in the house. Lately I've been pecking away at this tall poplar that fell just short of the ground about 6 years ago...nothing too hard in the winter. My dog keeps me company and is almost bullet proof to the weather but when he gets those snow balls in his paws then it's time to pack it in.

Rarely do I split whilst cutting. Filling the truck and trailer is job enough. Usually pull out 2 to 2.5 cords per trip. depending on log diameter, will cut and load 10 footers, or any size combination down to stove size. after that 6 to 8 hours of work, 4 or 5 times in a week, i have my 10 cords. then everything is cut to size and split/stacked. one cord cut, split and stacked in one day is a pretty good feat for non-super heroes.

I don't care to cut and split for 8 hours anymore. It is not fun at that point and i feel safety also becomes an issue. I am satisfied cutting and splitting 1/4-1/3 cord in about 3 hours. That usually includes some stubborn rounds that do not exactly "pop" apart. That is what i feel comfortable hauling in my truck and i can usually cut that much on one tank of gas/bar oil. I am guessing my production would go down a bit and be 3/4 cord tops in 8 hours.

i wish i had a good answer for you, but I usually spend a day cutting at a time. splitting occurs later. When I split it's usually for 30min when I get home from work, more on the weekends. sometimes in 30 minutes i grab only easy looking stuff (cause I'm tired, or maybe not in the mood) and can around 1/2 a face cord. generally I mix some hard stuff in there and get less than half of that. I have even worked for fifteen minutes to split something extraordinarily nasty and then only end up splitting one 20" diameter into pieces. sometimes I'll do 10 minutes of really hard work and just be so pissed at the round that I determine I'm never splitting wood again, nor will I ever use a wood stove again. Then i come inside and surf this forum a little and feel better about life....

Guy and his wife I know had the BEST deal I had ever seen. Double sided ram running East West, tires running North South. One would put up a log and split while the other was picking up the next to reverse the process and the ram. I was in awe at the amout of wood they could produce in two rows side by side.
Chad

Reading this thread made me do some thinking. Most here are saying 1cord a day. I can buy oak cut split and stacked for $125 a cord here. So if you figure in the saw, gas, oil, chains,bars, splitter, maul, axe, tractor, skidder, safety equipment, trailers, skidsteer with forks, I don't think I'm making min.wage.......
I still can't figure out how anyone can cut, split, deliver and stack for $125 a cord.
But I need to manage my woods, need the exersize and enjoy doing it so I guess I won't buy untill I can't do it any more.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.