How much does a pellet/wood stove tech make?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

earl764

Dec 21, 2011
CT
Hello,

I did some searches but didn't see anything that answered my question.

What kind of money could someone expect to make servicing pellet/wood stoves? Assuming they were NFI certified and working in the north east.

If someone was uncomfortable posting publicly they could always message me and I would agree not to share it.

What kind of hours do you have?

I've been thinking of studying for the NFI to learn more and if I took the cert and passed, who knows what I would do next. Knowing what kind of numbers to expect would be useful.

Thanks.

Hello,

What kind of money could someone expect to make servicing pellet/wood stoves? Assuming they were NFI certified and working in the north east.

If someone was uncomfortable posting publicly they could always message me and I would agree not to share it.

I've been thinking of studying for the NFI to learn more and if I took the cert and passed, who knows what I would do next. Knowing what kind of numbers to expect would be useful.

Thanks.

When I was hired in 2K as a service tech for wood, pellet & gas burning units, I started at $10 per hour. After 5+ years, & attaining NFI Certs, I was up to $18 per hr, but I was also a lead installer. I will add that the cost for a service call when I started was $89.95 for a 2-hour call & now it's more than double that during the heating season. You have to include a fully stocked & insured vehicle in the pricing as well. I worked a 40-hour week except for the heating season. That could run into 10 - 12-hour days, with a 1/2 day on Saturdays...The company that I worked for is in the Albany, NY area...When you DO get NFI Certification, it doesn't end there. The Cert only lasts 3 years unless you keep adding continuing education credits...

Earl764...try asking your question differently. "If I were NFI Certified, what career opportunities might exist and what type of pay might I earn?"

I think given your experience (unknown variable) you could potentially make a very good living working for a hearth products manufacturer. There are a few in your region. You might also get your foot in the door with a pellet fuel manufacturer or test lab. Again, not having seen your résumé, it's hard to provide very clear and direct options.

Do keep in mind, the hearth business is quite large, skilled engineers and technicians are mostly in short supply.

Best of Luck,

Chris

There's a need for skilled independents in CT. No one wanted my money here if I didn't buy the stove through them. I had to go out of state to get someone who wasn't my (crappy) dealer to help me out. My dealer wouldn't do it anyway. (Scott came out) It was a haul for him, and it was pricey for all of us due to the time/distance involved with the travel. I called every stove place in the state, and no one wanted to work for me because they either didn't sell that brand stove or I didn't buy it from them. Which is a crap shoot considering I had an OAK installed.... which really has nothing to do with the stove model- more of chimney run.

Anyway, if you go through it, and I need service in the future, I would happily give you a call.

There's a need for skilled independents in CT.

What keeps them away is its basically a seasonal position. Unless you do something else as a fill in. Plus cash upfront to start things off, Its not just tools. A safe start is a years salary banked incase you have a slow start. A decent van/truck to haul the tools. Working for an established business may also have perks(insurance, Paid leave ect). I probably just touched the tip of the iceburg, You get the picture(I hope).

Maybe Scott could expand into CT with a hired tech?

Thanks for the replies/info.

The old lady and I are thinking of moving to a more rural area in a few years time. By then we'll have her college loans paid off. I dropped out of college early on and did well in technology. I work in high end IT(enterprise data centers and associated infrastructure). Unlikely to have a lot of that in a rural area, thinking of alternate career choices should the need arise. I find the wood/pellet stove systems quite interesting, so I thought I would investigate it.

Briansol, I hear you on your issues. The stove I have, most won't touch. And whenever I call my dealer for service the first question is 'did you buy it from us?' before they even look me up in the database.

It's like back in the day w/ cars. You used to only get the dealer you bought it from to honor warranty stuff.

BKVP, my resume consists of jack-all related to hearth products ; )

If you need a Unix/Linux server platform and associated SAN designed, then we can talk ; )

DAKSY, those numbers give me an idea of a starting place. I obviously wouldn't expect the same money compared to where I am now in my current career, but it gives me some reference.

Thanks.

Reactions: DAKSY
Quit IT?, your nut's, work in a climate controlled enviroment daily, no sweat, smell's or oil/grease to deal with, stick with it buddy
Try being a Auto Tech, you white collar's wouldn't last 10 mins

Reactions: jgrz0610
Thanks for the replies/info.

The old lady and I are thinking of moving to a more rural area in a few years time. By then we'll have her college loans paid off. I dropped out of college early on and did well in technology. I work in high end IT(enterprise data centers and associated infrastructure). Unlikely to have a lot of that in a rural area, thinking of alternate career choices should the need arise. I find the wood/pellet stove systems quite interesting, so I thought I would investigate it.

Start working on open source projects ( mysql related, nosql related ) you will have no problems working at home as long as you can get high speed Internet. Best advice someone has ever given me in the software industry. Of course if you want to be a stove tech do what you love.

Reactions: CamperWill
Hello,

Thanks.
Not Enough......Ha

What keeps them away is its basically a seasonal position. Unless you do something else as a fill in. Plus cash upfront to start things off, Its not just tools. A safe start is a years salary banked incase you have a slow start. A decent van/truck to haul the tools. Working for an established business may also have perks(insurance, Paid leave ect). I probably just touched the tip of the iceburg, You get the picture(I hope).

X2 Jay, Being a seasonal biz it is very hard. Techs come and go. I just hired a guy on a job by job basis right now.
This year may be a good year but there are no guarantees!

It's only a seasonal job if you make it that way. While yes, you'll have more break/fix type work in season, if you plan it properly, you can have installs and full over hauls and cleanings and oak installs and new chimney runs etc etc all throughout the summer keeping everyone busy year round.

And if you can't get the right work, pick up a summer only job, like lawncare or something. lol

As an aside-- I want to do the same thing. I'm in IT as well and want to move to so. new Hampshire on a farm. 20-50 acres of land.
but I want to stay in IT. i'm planning to commute to Manchester area or work from home gig if I can find one. the wifey wants to stay home and tend to the gardens and chickens and rear the kids when the time comes. Politics are huge to us, and so we are narrowing down town by town. A ton of adgenda 21 down town revitals happening everywhere and we don't want any part of that. Dunbarton is topping our list right now, but unfortunately, so is it's property costs.

X2 Jay, Being a seasonal biz it is very hard. Techs come and go. I just hired a guy on a job by job basis right now.
This year may be a good year but there are no guarantees!
Job by job basis? Make it happen dude! Ain't gonna retain help like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.