how much does wood weigh?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldgrezmonke

Oct 27, 2006
Jackson TN
if this information is already on the site somewhere , sorry-just give me a link . i have searched and can't find it . roughly how much does a cord of wood weigh ? i have found a person near here who has about 10,000 lbs. to sell , delivered, for $250 [negotiable] . he thinks it's about 2+ cords . the most common way wood is sold around here is by the pickup load , you load+haul , for about $50 . i need a way to compare . or, should i go and measure the stack and compute ?

Depends on the species and how wet it is!

But for discussion sake, figure almost 2 tons for a cord of green hardwood and maybe 2500-3000 lbs for a green (unseasoned) cord of softwood.

So he is correct that 10,000 pounds is 2+ cords, and in my opinion that is a decent price - even better if negotiable, although fuel prices (for trucks) are high.

How does he know it is 10,000 lb of wood? Why not just measure it up and sell it like everyone else does in the world...by the cord? I would absolutely go and measure it. Unless you have a truck scale at your house and can document his in and weight you could get taken. Hardwood is usually between 2 and 3000 LB per cord green.

Listen to the Webmaster. Species and moisture content make all the difference. Google "Density of Wood" and you'll go all over the globe seeing tables of wood density (lbs/cu. ft.), some of which specify the moisture content, some of which don't. A cord of wood is a stack 4' x 4' x 8', or neatly stacked wood filling a volume of 128 cu. ft. Of course, there are NOT 128 cu. ft. of wood in that cord, as anything from 25% to 40% of the volume will be air, depending on the configuration of the wood, how small it's split, and how neatly it stacks. Roughly speaking, I'd guess if this guy really does have 10,000 lbs of wood for sale, it's probably around 2 1/2 - 3 cords, depending on all the above. Did he have it weighed, or is he swagging it? Best to go and have a close look before you make any deals, but it's probably worth a look, fer sure. Rick

the seller has access to a truck scale. the weight was probably taken when green . no one around here sells by the measured cord. this fellow seems as honest , or more , than any other with which i have come into contact . this is not his first or even second source of income [he buys and sell heavy equipment] and is in no particular hurry to empty the dump truck in which it has been sitting for months . sounds like take a good look , measure , figure how soon i can spare that much at one time . thanks , everybody.

Chancing a disagreement here seasoned oak, beech or hickory is going to be around 4,000 pounds a cord and stuff like white oak is going to ring the bell at around 6,000 pounds green.

Status
Not open for further replies.