How much electricity will a P68 auger/CPU/blower motor use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frugalfreak

Apr 6, 2011
Southcentral PA
... I know another P68 question but the manual is a bit vague (nearly non-existent) when giving this info. I know it will vary depending on the settings you use but lets say at the highest setting for example ... has anyone every tested to see what the draw is and figured out the cost per day/month/etc..,? - now you see why I'm Frugalfreak lol!

I'd guesstimate between 155-185watts on lowish and about 350-400wats on start-up....close to 255watts running on high....give or take a few watts.

WOW that's more than I thought (and was told before purchase) ... I'll have to do some math to see how that translates $$$. No matter - it is what it is - a necessary part of the process.

I agree the Harman manual is vague, it is on my P61 also. I did end up going to the Harman website and downloading a newer version of the manual from there. Of course if your stove is newer than that won't really help either.

its like 2 light bulbs....i think its a pretty impressive thing to accomplish using the same amount of energy as 2 light bulbs.

Delta-T said:
I'd guesstimate between 155-185watts on lowish and about 350-400wats on start-up....close to 255watts running on high....give or take a few watts.

Do you know is that the blower only or auger/CPU/etc..,? - or is that why the startup wattage is more - igniter + both blowers/auger/CPU?

its everything....start-up is high because of the ignitor (~305watts for that alone, for about 5 minutes or so, keep it in perspective) and the fans and CPU.

My electric bill actually went down a tad, without changing anything significant in the house. The 3 small motors in my St Croix, even running 24/7, apparently consume less power overall than the 1/25 HP circulator and the 1/7 HP oil burner motor. After doing the math, I expected a $6 increase in my electric bill, but didn't allow for the oil burner not running much. It seems to be a wash, or close to it. If I remember right, the ignitor cycle on my Afton Bay costs about 1.5¢ each time - not a bank breaker! This pellet stove is saving me a lot of money, keeping my $ in the USA, and keeping us warmer overall.
Small wonder I love my stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.