How much energy do we use vs do we waste?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smart businesses will do this anyway because it makes them more competitive and helps the bottom line. I retrofitted a large photo lab in the mid-80's with a couple large scale heat recovery systems. It cut their gas consumption by 2/3ds and let them polevault past the competition.

I always hear how coal plants are 30 % efficient. That is really low but doubt it will change much. We need to do is help out our own gas and electric bill . I've said this before, as a carpenter I see houses that are so wasteful it makes me mad. 6" of insul in attics is quite common, 3" is common too way up here in Wisconsin. I can't tell some owners nothing neither. They, like many on this thread hear building owners say 3-5 years is too long of pay back. I wait a few days and ask " how long ya own this home"? Ah, 25 years! Go figure. I have been slow on work the last few months and told everyone in our house if there is a light on turn the #$%%^% thing off. My electric bill went from 85 avr. to 65 last month, (@.16 a kwh). Never did anything else. Next step is the few last storms windows, then insulate the top basement walls. A storm on the front door too. I built this house 3 yrs ago with the idea of the very most efficient house possible. Still have a bit to do, but some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.