How much extra does it cost to only burn evenings instead of 24/7 - PENNSYLVANIA (natural gas backup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
I thought some might find this interesting. I've been burning for 5 years now, the first 4 years I was super "hard core", burning 24/7 throughout the heating season, my goal was to use as little natural gas as possible. I burned during the day even when no one was home, so the house would be warm when we got home from work.

This year, I decided to try just burning evenings only during the week, 24/7 on the weekend to see what difference it would make as far as both impact on wood supply and cost/usage amount of natural gas. I set the programmable thermostat to drop to 58 degrees at 7AM, and climb to 64 degrees about 45 minutes before we get home from work. I always kill the nat gas when I get home regardless of the temperature. It is usually still a bit chilly when we get home from work, but an extra sweatshirt or light jacket does the job and isn't a big deal, one of us gets the fire started, and we eat dinner on the couch in front of the stove - that space heats up quickly. The whole house usually gets up to 70+ degrees in about an hour.

It does cost a bit more wood to get a cold stove hot, but overall I'd say I used about 1/3 less wood this year than last year, and it was also much colder this winter (we had a -5F day which is the coldest I can remember at my house in the 11 years I've lived here - stove performed beautifully that day by the way, it was also a weekend so I was burning 24/7). I used an average of about 25 ccf more natural gas per month, at an extra cost of around $25 per month. A rough estimate is that it cost about $150 to save about 1 1/3 cords of wood. The time savings for me are pretty substantial, not just the time cost of lighting a fire in the morning, but the time associated with that 1 & 1/3 cord of wood (gathering, splitting, stacking, hauling into the house, etc). All in all, I'd say FOR ME burning evenings only during the week is worth it as long as the cost of natural gas is low, and I will probably continue this way into the future unless something changes.

Note: If your backup heat is oil or electric the cost would be WAY higher and would probably completely change the analysis. Colder climates might also be a different story.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I know Phoenixville. You guys got a real winter this year, snow and all. We didn't get that much snow back here in Somerset County.

I'm trying to keep the electric company wondering. Just wait til next year, when I have my new stove upstairs...

Nancy

Hello from the Poconos there tradergoro !

I would be doing the same thing IF I had natural gas. But alas I have fuel oil and at I think 3.75 a gallon now.... well you know...

Shawn

Lancaster here. I started off burning 24/7 as well.

But about 7 years ago we put in a Trane XL14i heat pump, which is quite efficient down to about 20 degrees. One could say that heat pumps actually burn coal, or perhaps split atoms (like a Chevy Volt), but the end user doesn't create heat, it just transfers it. At any rate, the HP is efficient enough that we started burning on nights only when the temp goes below 20; the balance point at which the voracious coal burning, atom splitting electric backup comes on.

The house is passive solar and during the day the heat pump runs infrequently, or not at all. I could reduce the elecftric bill further, but the tradeoff is the amount of wood I would have to process from the backyard.

This has eased the never-ending task of splitting/stacking and the house is not too hot above 20 and genuinely warm below 20. Also I don't feel so bad about about using hard earned splits for the occasional fun and ambiance fire.

Interesting experiment tradergordo!

Thanks!

This winter I burned 24/7 for a week or two when we were snowed in. It was fun, in a way. We're normally just nights and weekends too.

Another factor that will make a difference, no matter who you are or where you live, is how weatherized your house is.

pyper said:
Another factor that will make a difference, no matter who you are or where you live, is how weatherized your house is.

That's true. I can tell you for example, that as long as its sunny outside, no matter what the temperature outside, my furnace will pretty much never kick in at all for the entire day when that thermostat is set to 58 and the house starts off warm inside from the previous night's fire. For the most part, the only time I'm using nat gas is in the evening pre-fire bump up.

Sounds like you have come up with a good plan for long time wood burning. I have heated my home with wood to varying degrees since 1976. I have called myself an 18/7 burner for years. The extra effort to save that last 50 gal. of oil was never worth the time. Also your burning habits have to please the rest of the household, burning needs to be practical, and enjoyable. Hope you have the fun I have had for years to come.

Very interesting. This is my first year burnin', and when I first started, I thought "I'll never burn when I'm not here" (noobie paranoia). I figured with a set back thermostat, the furnace would not run that much anyway during the day.
But once I got my first bill and saw how much less gas I used than the previous month, it became an addiction to see how low I could go if I burned 24/7. But now that I've achieved 0 ccf on my last bill, I have also considered going back to burnin' just nights and weekends. I am not one to get up earlier than I have to for work, so loading the stove and gettin her cruisin is costing me an extra push of the snooze bar!!
On the other hand, it is so much nicer coming home from work and still having a hot bed of coals to get the nightly fire going.

I started out 'hard' core when I began burning wood about 6 years ago. No furnace on unless temps. dropped below 20° and then I would let it come on at 60°....

I would go through 2-3 cords of wood per season depending on the temps. Each cord cost approx. 200.00. I paid my nephew to help stack it all when it arrived.

Last year I began experimenting like you have except I am home during the day so the fire is built in the morning. I also turn on the heat for a couple of hours to help take the chill off and it helps the fire do it's thing so less wood is used.

On one large load of wood I can keep my house in the mid 70's most of the day. I get good solar heat in the afternoons when the sun is out and that gets me into the evening hours. Cooking dinner heats up the family area so on mild days a fire in the evening is unnecessary.

My NG bill is about 25-50 extra depending on our temps....not a big deal.....(sorry all of you oil and propane burners....). I use about 1 -2 cords of wood now. This winter it is only about 1 cord because we have had unusually warm weather. Kinda like shoulder season all winter.

I did buy my daughter a portable heater for her bedroom. It is the coldest room in the house so when she is home it is on and does effect our electric bill but I am not counting that...

I can get a cord of wood stacked without my nephews help and I am sure we are saving more $$$ doing what I am doing now....but, as with all things, my method could change again next year.....

I can spit on gas wells from my home and I'll never burn a drop of the natural gas. Wish I had that option. Not sure if I'd burn less or not but I'd just like to be able to have the cheap fuel so I could take wash the cars with hot water in the winter.

pen

tradergordo said:
Note: If your backup heat is oil or electric the cost would be WAY higher and would probably completely change the analysis.

No access to NG and plenty of marginal cost $5/cord wood makes the analysis pretty easy. No backup makes it even easier.

Phoenixville - home of Blobfest - my sister's been inviting us to attend for years.

Now back to the OP's subject...........

There's no point in being a slave to the stove when you have a good backup solution. No natural gas here, only expensive propane. When we remodeled the house I sold the pelletstove and replaced it with a high-efficiency heat pump. It too has liberated us from having to burn to keep warm. The bills have been neglible and the overall savings from prior heating with propane, pellet, and wood have been fantastic.

Looking back at my records, the heat pump cost $5000-ish; about the same price as a good stove today. Then the heat pump requires a monthly electric payment and the wood stove requires buying wood ($150/cord x 3 to 5 cords) or manual labor. I wouldn't even consider a woodstove if I had to buy firewood (questionable quality), but I enjoy cutting and splitting from my backyard (most of the time).

I'm still glad we have the option of wood heat 24/7 should we choose, or when the power goes out. I've got no particular love for the electric company.

So, the heat pump is our primary heat, simply because it wins the labor/efficiency/cost battle. But we have no plans to mount the heat pump air handler on the hearth and gaze dreamily at it over our pinot grigio. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.