How much fire wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
Do you guys think I have so far??

This is a pallet stacked to 4 feet high
IMGP0806.jpg

This stack measures 10 1/2 long by 5 1/2 high
IMGP0807.jpg

this stack is 9 feet long by 4 feet high
IMGP0808.jpg

some logs I skidded out recently
IMGP0810.jpg

Thanks for any info.

Pallet= 4x3.333x4'high= 53.3 cu ft
Stack 1= 10.5x5.5x1.5 (assuming 18" logs)= 86.6 cu ft
Stack 2= 9x4x1.5 = 54 cu ft

Plus- whatever those other logs are- no scale, but maybe better'n half a cord

C'mon, skinny...1 cord = 128 cubic feet of neatly stacked wood...however you choose to cut it & stack it. Typically, the definition's given as 4' x 4' x 8'...but that could just as well be written as 2' x 16' x 4', or whatever. Figure out about how many cubic feet of stacked wood you got, divide by 128, and that's about how many cords you got. I'll be more than happy to do the measurements and math for you, but you'll have to pay my travel and expenses, provide room and board for at least 4 days (these complex calculations take time), couple cases of beer, maybe a pint or two of good whiskey, probably some overtime, since your wood is not all neatly stacked in piles of equal dimensions, and then I'll present you with a comprehensive report of my findings within 6 weeks of my return to my office where my supercomputer's humming away. :) Rick

Math is not my best subject, it makes my head hurt!

My wood is cut to 14 inch lengths

Not nearly enough but what you have is looking good. :)

skinnykid said:
Math is not my best subject, it makes my head hurt!

Does that mean I should be looking for a plane ticket in the mail? Rick

With todays fuel prices, from Oregon to NH would cost me more $ than I am saving by not using as much propane to heat my home.

(thats why I am cutting wood)

Carl said:
Not nearly enough but what you have is looking good. :)

Geez, how much will I need for a 1500 square foot home?

I think I am doing good for a skinny dude!

And plus, it is all free!!!!!!!

I guess about a cord and a half after you cut up the logs. Thats a give or take #. I use between 4 to 6 cords realisticly to heat a 1400 square ft ranch in Wisconsin. You have more work to do to completely heat with wood. You will be warmer and happier at 72 then 60 degrees!!! %-P

Nice start! Might make it to Christmas... :lol:

I don't think it is possible to have enough firewood. I'm going for 4 cords this year as a start in about 2000sf in the mid atlantic...

Chris

skinnykid said:
Do you guys think I have so far??

This is a pallet stacked to 4 feet high
IMGP0806.jpg

This stack measures 10 1/2 long by 5 1/2 high
IMGP0807.jpg

this stack is 9 feet long by 4 feet high
IMGP0808.jpg

some logs I skidded out recently
IMGP0810.jpg

not enough guy, keep cuttin and splittin

Thanks for any info.

you can NEVER have enough wood - if you have the room keep going

this will be my second full year of burning with a small QF 2100 insert 1300 sf ranch

think i used close to three cords last year and the goal is to get at least one full year ahead and i reduced my oil usage in 1/2 last year

main (just about three)
honda001-1.jpg

back (little over a cord)

honda002-1.jpg

needs stacking (should be one)

honda003-1.jpg

have a grapple load coming this week

you should - down here in mass i was paying $85.00 for a little over a cords worth of logs from a small tree guy

grapple load is 400.00 and i am pretty sure they said 6 cord

what are you burning the firewood in?

wow I'm going to have a big pile of wood then. I only have room for 4 rows of wood 3 are 10ft long the other is 16ft long. Right now 2 of the rows are 7ft tall. When I get done all 4 will be that high or higher. No other room only way to go is up.

We do have to burn softwood out here in the wild west. but I don`t think I have enough for 2 years.

Attachments

• big screen 001.jpg
    big screen 001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 746
  • big screen 002.jpg
    big screen 002.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 752
  • big screen 003.jpg
    big screen 003.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 716
  • big screen 007.jpg
    big screen 007.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 737
  • big screen 006.jpg
    big screen 006.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 718
Edit

And here is 2 more pics that I couldn`t fit in the first post.

Attachments

• big screen 004.jpg
    big screen 004.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 500
  • big screen 009.jpg
    big screen 009.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 489
As I stated in another post, I have alot of softwood (pine) that I can burn. After getting mixed opinions here and a good friend telling me NOT to do it, I am kinda afraid to mix it in with my other stuff.

What to do, what to do?

skinnykid said:
As I stated in another post, I have alot of softwood (pine) that I can burn. After getting mixed opinions here and a good friend telling me NOT to do it, I am kinda afraid to mix it in with my other stuff.

What to do, what to do?

What kind of stove is it?

old wives tale that you can not burn pine

pine will burn fine as long as it's seasoned for at least a year (two is better) - it burns hot and fast

BrotherBart said:
skinnykid said:

What to do, what to do?

What kind of stove is it?

Quadrafire 1900. Small free standing stove. Good stove but I wish the fire box was a bit bigger to load up for night burn.

top exhaust 6 inch

The piles you have there are mostly birch. White is nice but black is dandy and you've got that mixed in. That's for the overnight burns. Hmmm,,white birch for the light, black when it's night.. You should still have a few coals in the AM. Pines fine mixed with some hardwood (birch) for light to moderate heat needs. Nice think about living in the "Live Free or Die" state is there sure are a lot of trees and much of it is great hardwood. Keep cutting and stacking. Figure about 4-5 cords a year and get 2-3 years ahead if you can.

That Quad will burn pine just fine. I just laid in another half cord of pine next to my oak stacks this afternoon. We burn a bunch of it.

jpl1nh said:
The piles you have there are mostly birch. White is nice but black is dandy and you've got that mixed in. That's for the overnight burns. Hmmm,,white birch for the light, black when it's night.. You should still have a few coals in the AM. Pines fine mixed with some hardwood (birch) for light to moderate heat needs. Nice think about living in the "Live Free or Die" state is there sure are a lot of trees and much of it is great hardwood. Keep cutting and stacking. Figure about 4-5 cords a year and get 2-3 years ahead if you can.

The first stack is mostly oak, the second is birch and the pallet is oak and birch. The stuff in logs is just cut and may not be ready for this year, I'll see how it does. Not sure about all that birch yet either.

I have a dead ash tree still standing that I need to take. That should yield lots of good wood also. But as I said, IF I mix in that pine, I should be good for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.