How much fire wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
skinnykid said:
jpl1nh said:
The piles you have there are mostly birch. White is nice but black is dandy and you've got that mixed in. That's for the overnight burns. Hmmm,,white birch for the light, black when it's night.. You should still have a few coals in the AM. Pines fine mixed with some hardwood (birch) for light to moderate heat needs. Nice think about living in the "Live Free or Die" state is there sure are a lot of trees and much of it is great hardwood. Keep cutting and stacking. Figure about 4-5 cords a year and get 2-3 years ahead if you can.

The first stack is mostly oak, the second is birch and the pallet is oak and birch. The stuff in logs is just cut and may not be ready for this year, I'll see how it does. Not sure about all that birch yet either.

I have a dead ash tree still standing that I need to take. That should yield lots of good wood also. But as I said, IF I mix in that pine, I should be good for awhile.
That lying wood is ash too, isn't it? The ash will be fine this winter. The oak in 2. The black and white birch could be good this winter if it was dead to begin with. Throw the pine in and you have a great mix for all sorts of temperature conditions. Your mix is a big part of what I burn though I have hemlock and red maple thrown in too. And black locust when it's really cold to keep the oak company.

jpl1nh said:
skinnykid said:
jpl1nh said:
The piles you have there are mostly birch. White is nice but black is dandy and you've got that mixed in. That's for the overnight burns. Hmmm,,white birch for the light, black when it's night.. You should still have a few coals in the AM. Pines fine mixed with some hardwood (birch) for light to moderate heat needs. Nice think about living in the "Live Free or Die" state is there sure are a lot of trees and much of it is great hardwood. Keep cutting and stacking. Figure about 4-5 cords a year and get 2-3 years ahead if you can.

The first stack is mostly oak, the second is birch and the pallet is oak and birch. The stuff in logs is just cut and may not be ready for this year, I'll see how it does. Not sure about all that birch yet either.

I have a dead ash tree still standing that I need to take. That should yield lots of good wood also. But as I said, IF I mix in that pine, I should be good for awhile.
That lying wood is ash too, isn't it? The ash will be fine this winter. The oak in 2. The black and white birch could be good this winter if it was dead to begin with. Throw the pine in and you have a great mix for all sorts of temperature conditions. Your mix is a big part of what I burn though I have hemlock and red maple thrown in too. And black locust when it's really cold to keep the oak company.

Yes that lying wood is Ash I believe. The Birch was cut right before I got it. Probably 3 weeks ago.

The Ash should give alot of heat, Huh?

skinnykid said:
Carl said:
Not nearly enough but what you have is looking good. :)

Geez, how much will I need for a 1500 square foot home?

I think I am doing good for a skinny dude!

And plus, it is all free!!!!!!!

ROTF.......I never under estimate skinny people. You are doing well but need to do a little more to stay warm all winter. Always nice to get free wood when you can. I am sure your will gather more throughout the summer.

skinnykid said:
As I stated in another post, I have alot of softwood (pine) that I can burn. After getting mixed opinions here and a good friend telling me NOT to do it, I am kinda afraid to mix it in with my other stuff.

What to do, what to do?

If I ever came into a split of hardwood, I think I'd just mount it on the wall and gaze at it from time to time. You talk about my firewood (nearly my only firewood) as though it's some sort of noxious weed. I'll take all you got, just send it on out. Rick

fossil said:
You talk about my firewood (nearly my only firewood) as though it's some sort of noxious weed.

It is.....but it burns just fine. :lol:

Skinny kid - keep stacking. I would guess at 4+ cords for the winter. I go through 5. If I am wrong and you don't burn that all up, you will thank me anyhow for encouraging you to get a little ahead for the NEXT winter.

Isn't that the truth Jags...money in the bank and you like spending a little in the beginning of winter but hate to spend it half way thru the season ;-P

Jags said:
fossil said:
You talk about my firewood (nearly my only firewood) as though it's some sort of noxious weed.

It is.....but it burns just fine. :lol:

Well, to paraphrase a friend who paraphrased someone else..."When they pull my noxious weeds from my cold, dead hands..." :lol: Rick

Attachments

• pine-forest1024.jpg
    pine-forest1024.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 335
There you go fossil, had to bring pine into the picture, I told you us wood snobs in wisconsin use pine for kindling. It ain't right I tell ya, it just ain't right!@!~!~! :coolsmirk:

burntime said:
There you go fossil, had to bring pine into the picture, I told you us wood snobs in wisconsin use pine for kindling. It ain't right I tell ya, it just ain't right!@!~!~! :coolsmirk:

Well, I'll simply say that the wood species you fortunate folks routinely burn for heat, I seek for my workshop...but not for the woodstove, to make things out of. Just call me a kindling burner, if you want, I guess...but some of the pine, larch, and fir I get is awful big to be called kindling. :) Rick

fossil said:
Well, I'll simply say that the wood species you fortunate folks routinely burn for heat, I seek for my workshop...but not for the woodstove, to make things out of.

On a little different path, I am not a woodworker, but there are times that I wish I had one of the portable mills. I have cut up some very prime black walnut, oaks, cherry and others that simply fed the wood beast. It would have made excellent lumber.

My brother in law lives around the corner from me in a 1870's farmhouse. Every wall that we have been into is studded up with oak! No wonder its still around! I made blocks for my kids with some oak, think it will be here longer than I am!

You wouldn't believe what I'm paying for a new Hickory kitchen...not sure I believe it! :bug: Rick

fossil said:
You wouldn't believe what I'm paying for a new Hickory kitchen...not sure I believe it! :bug: Rick

Yes, I wood! I just replaced the kitchen in Hickory a few years ago. Real pretty grain on that stuff. You'll get over the price after it's in...

Chris

9 years ago I did the oak kitchen...3 1/4 inch plank floor, custom cabinets etc. That was right before wood took off. I think I would have easily trippled the cost if I did it today...sadly I would do it different. I am a lover of hickory!

Redox said:
...Yes, I wood!

Yes, I wood too, Chris. I used to natural gas, but now I wood. :) Rick

HI Skinny,

Keep going. You will need a lot more wood.

I started out like you. LIttle bit of wood. After a winter, I need more, and more, and more. Now I have 10 20ft rows stacked 5 ft high. And I need it all.

I also noticed that wood dried one year + is MUCH better for burning than 1 year wood. With more storage space, you will actually have wood that dry and it is a LOT better.

Carpniels

PS. The pallet stack looks way to pretty. It is not about pretty; it is about VOLUME. Lots of it. The more wood, the better.

Neighbors laugh at my piles in summer and the work but they "drop in" to warm up at 72-74 when their homes are a wimpy 62 and cold!!! Get the wood when you can...it really is like money in the bank!

Status
Not open for further replies.