How much flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
How much flame do you have when you damper down for the night? It seems to be a very fine line between no flame and quite a bit of flame as it pertains to adjusting the damper on my insert.

Thanks,
Rob

KYrob said:
How much flame do you have when you damper down for the night? It seems to be a very fine line between no flame and quite a bit of flame as it pertains to adjusting the damper on my insert.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob we have a Lopi Liberty with a by-pass which is only open when starting up and the regular air control. The next two pictures are of it shut down for a overnight burn, stove top temp is running between 650-700.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1772.jpg
    100_1772.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 246
  • 100_1773.jpg
    100_1773.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 254
I don't have a Buck or an insert, but I can tell you that when I turn down the air at night (or any other time for that matter) what I get is a very intense secondary burn . . . I guess the best way to describe it is a few, small lazy flames on the wood . . . and above the wood it appears as though a Portal to Hell has opened up in my Oslo.

I forgot to add . . . occasionally I also get the "Northern Lights" . . . it's where there is little to no flame on the wood . . . but every few seconds the smoke ignites . . . kind of like having a secondary burn fireworks show in the firebox . . . a few times I've had the propane BBQ grill effect in the firebox . . . but that is pretty rare to see.

Much depends upon both the stove and the wood. It also depends upon how much heat you desire at night. With this, there is no easy explanation. I can remember a few times going to bed and there was no flame in the firebox but a short time later there was a big flame at the top of the firebox just rolling and looking pretty. I went to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.